VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 06-20-2019 10:52 PM

It is a record!

Steve Melton 06-25-2019 04:09 PM

10deg arm Headset Mount

from Amanda's desk

Snowflake 06-26-2019 08:44 AM

Not enough threads showing on the Nylock... :) Otherwise, looks great!

Steve Melton 06-30-2019 09:04 AM

Amanda is printing this morning. It's nice to have a kid working. She mows the grass too with a push mower that not self propelled. She has worked grass mowing time down from 1.5 hr to 1.0 hr.

Steve Melton 07-02-2019 06:20 AM

RV-7 Elevator gust locks

working to complete these RV-7 gust locks. should be finalized and uploaded to the web site by July 7th.

WingsOnWheels 07-02-2019 06:45 AM

This has probably been asked somewhere in the last 97 pages, but what material are you printing most of these items from?

For in-service items (other than around the house stuff), I have been using PETG. It is nice and strong and doesn't warp too much. I have had no luck with ABS. I would like to try nylon, but hear that warping is a problem as well.

Steve Melton 07-02-2019 06:48 AM

the gust lock material is ASA plastic. it is UV resistant. it the same material used for automotive car trim.

a printing tip is to maintain an uniform chamber temperature and circulate warm air.

when transitioning from thin to thick sections pay added attention to fillet integrity by laying in single extrusions to get an absolute complete fillet fill. this will give the strongest part. I've tested them. it makes a difference. these parts were pull tested to over 300 lb rope tension. it has good strength margin for 87 knot wind speed.

Steve Melton 07-04-2019 09:45 PM

panel slot cover

I'm finally happy with this. Initially, I made the cover too thin and it bowed when installed. It worked fine but I didn't like the look. I stiffened it with minimal added weight. It is now secure, lightweight, and straight.

If you're making these, I used .080 arm with length to installed deflection = 10:1. That worked well. It is secure so there are screw holes to thread #6 screws to avoid scratching the panel when removed.

Steve Melton 07-07-2019 10:49 AM

panel hole cover - 2.25 inch dia

updated the design to make the snap fit stronger and added parabolic light diffusing features on the face. Amanda was the product tester, she squeezed the springs to maximum deflection 1000 times and the part retained its spring strength. Another Vlad inspired idea comes to life.

Steve Melton 07-07-2019 02:05 PM

RV9 flap fairing cleaning

In preparation for Oshkosh I decided to clean my flap fairings. I rarely look at these. All original since installation, never removed, as with all the plastic on my aircraft, it's original. They are in perfect condition after several years, hiding, doing their job.