VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 11-09-2017 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHunt (Post 1217367)
now this is what i need

about the width of key. you don't feel it in your pocket. works great. doesn't scratch paint. what about printing it with glow in the dark ABS?

DougCronkhite 11-09-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vernon smith (Post 1217550)
Very few forums can translate and graphically present STL files, they are second cousins to the main line CAD file types like .igs and .step. I've never seen any of these show a graphic presentation without someone's CAD program to translate it. I fear 99% of all the forums are .jpg and .pgn creatures as they should be.

Pictures are a problem because they are KB/MB hogs. Nobody wants to store them for free, an unfortunate truth the current user population of this forum are learning. The holy grail is a conversion program to make them vector files which AI will solve in short order. Now, consider what the cost of the AI conversion program will be, why is there never a free lunch :)

That's why I'm saying use Thingiverse. It's a website/forum specifically designed to do this. You should be able to link to the item on Thingiverse to here.

Steve Melton 11-10-2017 05:10 AM

approaching a flight test quality print. I am using the highest print speed and max layer thickness. material is ABS. what to do about installing the cotter pin? is there an alternate style cotter pin that can approach from the end of the bolt rather than the side? calculations indicate +3kt increase with six flap bracket fairings installed.

Snowflake 11-10-2017 08:42 AM

Might only get 2 kt increase until you re-print them at higher print quality... Or put them in an Acetone vapour bath to smooth off the steps... :)

Ben Meyer 11-10-2017 09:01 AM

Would PLA be ok to use for these parts? Painted, of course.

Ben

Steve Melton 11-10-2017 10:03 AM

Maybe. I think PLA is made from corn syrup and is biodegradable.

Steve Melton 11-10-2017 01:57 PM

10lb filament spool mount

I'm tired of changing filament spools and always having some left over and thought I would try the big 10lb. In order to mount this I needed a new larger and more robust spool support. Designed, analyzed and made within two hours. Good to go.

BMC_Dave 11-10-2017 02:49 PM

Are you using ABS in your analysis? While good at highlighting stress concentrations and getting ballpark estimates it's not been the most accurate for FDM part strengths or deflection, in my experience. My work has had issues with FDM Ultem and proving to the ARs that the allowables they've developed are repeatable, there's so many variables that affect filament adhesion and overall part strength it's hard to prove your get a consistent product.

I would also not use PLA for any application where it's exposed to the elements at all. Though it smells a heck of a lot better than ABS while printing :)

Steve Melton 11-10-2017 03:46 PM

there is adequate stress margin in this design. full load at the tip in the analysis.

BMC_Dave 11-10-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1218053)
there is adequate stress margin in this design. full load at the tip in the analysis.

For this absolutely, plus it's just a spool holder. Just mentioning discrepancies between analysis and performance of FDM parts, if you want to push the envelope for something intended to go on an airplane.