VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Andy_RR 07-21-2020 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1448209)
I am willing to push it and spend my time in court if needed. They may also have Chinese backers with money. So that may be a factor.

If you get in a legal fight over this, you may be betting your personal farm on it. IMHO you are taking a huge risk here for relatively minimal up side.

They will likely focus on breach of trademark which is obvious and a very likely loss to you. That's a pretty easy fix for you - avoid using the words "Panel" and "Dock" in your product name or description.

The patent is less clear and you may be able to find some prior art to render it a non-issue but that will cost you money (and lots of it) if they want to dispute the point with you. Alternatively, you can attempt to avoid your design from fitting the description in their patent claims.

There is no good to come out of any of this and being antagonistic towards them will cost you dearly.

Steve Melton 07-21-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_RR (Post 1448247)
If you get in a legal fight over this, you may be betting your personal farm on it. IMHO you are taking a huge risk here for relatively minimal up side.

They will likely focus on breach of trademark which is obvious and a very likely loss to you. That's a pretty easy fix for you - avoid using the words "Panel" and "Dock" in your product name or description.

The patent is less clear and you may be able to find some prior art to render it a non-issue but that will cost you money (and lots of it) if they want to dispute the point with you. Alternatively, you can attempt to avoid your design from fitting the description in their patent claims.

There is no good to come out of any of this and being antagonistic towards them will cost you dearly.

yeah, it's a box with a latch. I think they did that in Roman times maybe the Egyptian or Neahterthal. what about the iPhone holder you put on your dash in your car, is that illegal also. I'll represent myself in court. what if I could show an ancient Neahterthal box with a latch during the trial? yes, it exists. I'm an old guy working in the basement with a 3D printer. I can fly to Texas for the trial but first I need to pull my prop to get a grease leak fixed. That's for tomorrow. You know my great great great uncle died at the Alamo in Texas, right. Basically, I'm not afraid of much. I think I would wear coon skin cap at the trial like Davey Crocket, who also died at the Alamo. Let me know when you have done a first flight.

rv7charlie 07-21-2020 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdtofly (Post 1448235)
I will never, and I mean never buy, or recommend anyone else to buy a product from AirGizmos. If everyone here does that, the little business you will get from making your 3D mounts, will cost them more than they will lose.

You have also designed a mount for something they have not made yet. Go after them for stealing your design for the 760 mount.

Please remove anything that has their trademark name on it, and come up with something else more catchy.

Good luck.

Brian

JP Instruments did exactly the same thing (trademark) to Matt Dralle (creator of the original RV List) over his Fuelscan instrument, which had been on the market for years prior to JPI producing, stealing the name, and then trademarking their version.

dpansier 07-21-2020 10:52 PM

Steve,

Based on your comments it appears that you have not been involved with this type of litigation.

Are you prepared to give up 12 to 18 months where you spend 100% of your time responding to inquires with deadlines? You will be questioned on nearly 150 pages of “ a couple of printed ideas” and if that is not enough you will become very tired of writing checks for $300 or more per hour to your favorite attorney.

When it all said and done, win or loose, you will have given up years of your life doing things that are not enjoyable and spent finances you will never recover.

Steve Melton 07-21-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpansier (Post 1448280)
Steve,

Based on your comments it appears that you have not been involved with this type of litigation.

Are you prepared to give up 12 to 18 months where you spend 100% of your time responding to inquires with deadlines? You will be questioned on nearly 150 pages of “ a couple of printed ideas” and if that is not enough you will become very tired of writing checks for $300 or more per hour to your favorite attorney.

When it all said and done, win or loose, you will have given up years of your life doing things that are not enjoyable and spent finances you will never recover.

I am prepared for that. For old guys, a year is like a month. If the litagation stretches for 10 years, it will be like one year for me. In 20 yrs, I will be dead or going, what does it matter. A morbid thought, but that's reality. It's the principle that matters, how can you patent a box with a latch that was made by the Neaderthals? What do you say, take it to the Supreme Court? Wait a minute, I need to get several 760 docks off printers for shipment. that's the only reason I'm still awake. Bye.

Andy_RR 07-22-2020 06:07 AM

Do yourself a favor, Steve, before you make any decisions as to how or how not you will tackle this problem. Spend $300 with your favorite lawyer and get his/her opinion on the matter. It could be the best $300 you ever spent.

It's not about whether you're afraid or not of something. It's how you choose to spend your time and money and whether a bad choice will be forced upon you by someone you despise.

Steve Melton 07-22-2020 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_RR (Post 1448298)
Do yourself a favor, Steve, before you make any decisions as to how or how not you will tackle this problem. Spend $300 with your favorite lawyer and get his/her opinion on the matter. It could be the best $300 you ever spent.

I would never hire a lawyer. How do lawyers contribute to the forward progress of man? By issuing a patent on a box?

Andy_RR 07-22-2020 06:14 AM

I'm no fan of lawyers either, Steve. Not by a long shot, but you could be forced to hire one by people you do not like.

Or they get a judgement against you and you're forced to sell all the things you love and more.

Good luck with it, whatever you choose.

Steve Melton 07-22-2020 06:49 AM

and the box AirGizmos makes for the iFly 740 doesn't work. the dock simply falls out of it, plus it doesn't have the raised side edge for touch stabilization. so what would the lawyers be defending? a box that doesn't work?

Andy_RR 07-22-2020 07:10 AM

They are not defending - they are attacking! You are defending.