What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using All Your Tools

f1rocket

Well Known Member
On Sunday, I returned from a 5-day father-son fishing and golfing vacation in Branson, MO with my #3 son, Ross. While the trip was not a particularly distant one, about 370 nm, what makes it worth noting is that this trip would not have been possible with any of my previous airplanes. Why? One word, avionics. The ability to get updated TAFs every 5 to 10 minutes and NEXRAD images make good weather decisions just that much easier. In the past, I would have never attempted a flight that day due to the enroute conditions and the hourly forecast in Branson. We decided to give it a try because of high ceilings, reasonable visibility, and the lack of convective activity. Once airborne, I relied on the TAFs along my route to determine if going further was wise. In the end, we navigated around some rain shafts but otherwise had a very uneventful flight.

branson002.jpg

While we had to deal with some rain during our stay, the fishing on Table Rock and the White River was great and we had a lot of fun golfing on a number of resort courses.

The trip home was some of the same. Clear in Branson but IFR in Indy but forecast to clear later in the morning. We launched and then monitored the weather at home. In the three hours it took us to fly back home, the weather cleared to marginal VFR with a 1000 ft ceiling but excellent visibility underneath. Using the terrain feature it was easy to stay clear of any cell towers that might be within range. Again, the near real time weather updates made this trip easy. We always had clear weather behind us so we always had outs.

branson001.jpg

The entire trip, and the memories from it, was entirely possible by wisely using the capabilities of the Dynon Skyview to augment what my Mark IV Eyeballs were telling me.

Beautiful !

Randy - love the colors and the style of your paint job. Simple and elegant - beautiful. makes the 12 look a little 'sleeker'. Nice job:cool:

Randy,
No need for a fuel stop on the 370nm leg?
Been doing some early planning for the trip to Oshkosh and wondering how long to sit in the bird before stretching and re-fuel. My test runs have been using around 4.8 gal/hr and I believe on longer legs I could cover more ground staying up longer than my usual 1.7 to 2.2 hr flights. Anyway, always looking for others experience.

Looks like a good time was had in the Branson area!!

Randy,
No need for a fuel stop on the 370nm leg?
Been doing some early planning for the trip to Oshkosh and wondering how long to sit in the bird before stretching and re-fuel. My test runs have been using around 4.8 gal/hr and I believe on longer legs I could cover more ground staying up longer than my usual 1.7 to 2.2 hr flights. Anyway, always looking for others experience.

I've done a number of 3 hr legs and a couple slightly more than 3 hrs with no problem. A bit stiff when I get out but no worse than happens when I drive that long ...

It all depends on the winds aloft. Going out we stopped in MO for fuel. Coming back we made it all the way. I usually fly about 3 hours and then start looking. I average about 5 per hour burn. I've landed with as little as 2 gallons remaining but prefer to not get much below 2 to 3 gallons.

Thanks Randy and Tom for your input and experience. Last weekend I headed to a fly-in that took me 1.4hrs there with good to fair tailwinds. Heading back I made it 1.5hrs against a 19-21kt. headwind and with 6 gallons remaining I stopped in route and took on 10 gals. to be sure and make it the last 35-40 minutes.
I don't think I would let it get much lower than 5 gals. just as a personal minimum and 3 hours would cause some stiffness but not unlike a car ride. Thanks again.

I used to land around 5 gallons, but I found that to be a little limiting. Part of trusting your fuel readouts is how accurate your fuel level and fuel computer have been calibrated. After 200 hours, confirmed by repeated fill ups, my manual fuel level in the Dynon is extremely accurate, as is the fuel computer. Three gallons is still more than a 30 minute reserve and sometimes, it helps to be comfortable stretching it when needed. Of course the caveat is to not take unnecessary risks with the fuel and when in doubt, land.

I have toyed with the option of a plug-in aux fuel tank for some of my solo cross country trips but so far, have resisted making any more changes to the airplane. My kidneys can't make it 3 hours now anyway, but I never travel far without my "bottle".

Back