What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic Squeezer / Die issues

jamcgee1978

Morning guys,
So im just about to start my build on the -10 and have run into this issue. The squeezer from The Yardstore I purchased has a ram that does not retract in order to fit the dimple dies in. Have contacted The Yardstore to explain the issue and see if they can supply dies with a smaller shank, their first response which had me surprised was:

" I have tried to get ours into our C-squeeze and have not been able to get both sides in. Would a larger yoke be a possible solution? We do have some used yokes that we could sell that would be compatible with your squeeze if that would be an option"

Surely any bigger yoke will affect access problems down the line? I then asked for a replacement or refund, and informed them I was happy to purchase a squeezer with a retractable metal push rod and was told:

"I have seen squeezes like those in the past. Unfortunately our new ones do not have that feature. Also, we have a 30 day return policy on new tools. , we will not be able to issue a return authorization for this item. Would shaving down the bottom of the shank?s shaft give you enough room to insert the dimple dies into the tool. I have tried here are it is a very close tolerance and was not able to get them installed. But removing a little material from the squeeze set might make enough room."

I thought this would be a simple fix so am appealing to any builders out there who have come across this issue during the start. It seems either I shave down the shank on all my dies, buy a new squeezer with an adjustable rod or buy a bigger yoke.....the easiest solution would be to purchase a set of dimple dies with a smaller shank but that is proving hard from the UK

aaarrggghhh!
thanks for any help in advance, hoping I haven't wasted 450 bucks
James

Good solution, if not totally ideal.

I am helping James here and wonder if anyone knows if the lower ram release which is where that black button is on his photo can be retrofitted.

It releases the bottom ram to fully retracted which enables you to get dies in. He is in negotiation with Yardstore at present.

The body of the squeezer looks exactly the shape and size of mine. And, the yoke looks like the standard that came with mine. It wasn't long before I bought the flange yoke and long reach thin nose yoke.

I'm headed out to the hangar this morning, I'll gladly get some pictures and measurements to compare.

I have also add/changed to the adjustable ram which is a great option. I don't recal that it is shorter than the stock ram, but could possibly be shortened?

I have the quick release pins, but used the flange yoke for most stuff, my die set and the rest of the squeezer and parts are are from Cleavland Tool.

Jim

That set holder (ram) looks way too long.. mine is flush with bottom of the yoke.. doesn't protrude at all.. There are different lengths you can get and/or just get the adjustable one (best option)..

Cleaveland Tools have them for sale.. check what you have then see if the shorter one would help..

thanks for your help on this guys, jim any pics would be great to compare, sounds like the quick releasepins, coupled with a different yoke would be the way to go.

something is not right

you sure the ram is in the squeezer correct the problem is not the yoke or dies I have what looks like the same unit from the yard store and the ram is not that long in fact I add shims to the dies to do shorter rivets

Here is the adjustable ram. It is threaded OUT a bit and measures 2.5" in the photo.

ff4ecd4ae1d2b2618abf95a568456565_zpsqm0fjw2e.jpg

The gap in the yoke is 1.5"

Jim

Back