What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll servo installation

Boomer506

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to close my wings and would like a picture of someone's roll servo installation, preferably on an RV8. I am leaning towards a Dynon autopilot but will likely fly for a couple years before I install. I'm a repeat offender with a previous RV6 completion.

Basically, I would like to know if I can close up the wing, and install the servo later without too much trouble. Or if I should decide between Garmin and Dynon, spend the $75 for the install kit now.

Thanks for your help out there.
Sam

Sam, the Garmin roll servo is installed in the fuselage should you decide to go that way (RV-6). Wow, I just checked the -8, and the roll servo is in the wing, so disregard my previous statement! Sorry about that.

I will say that it definitely would be an easier to instal the servo mount kit in your wing now before closing it out. I previously had my roll servo in my wing (S-Tec) and converted to the Garmin autopilot with the roll servo in the fuse under the copilot's seat.

Last edited:
I just checked the -8, and the roll servo is in the wing

If the Garmin servo has a similar mount to Trutrak or MGL, then the roll servo can go in the fuselage under the pilot seat.

33AD0C05-7B7B-49CD-85E2-753919FF6AC0-7884-000005E514490564_zps47576e7c.jpg

photo is not of my aircraft (found using google search)

Last edited:
My Garmin roll servo is under the front seat - this is a picture of the Trutrack servo before I swapped it for the Garmin. My aircraft was built in 2003, I don't know if anything has changed since then.

m8gynt.jpg

Dynon

My Dynon AP roll servo goes in the wing. One of the two bell crank brackets is replaced with the Dynon bracket. It can be done through the access panel but if you have the skin off, it would be much easier. You have to disconnect the linkage, remove both bellcrank brackets and assemble the servo in the brackets then put it back in. Actually the instructions are written as if it were a finished wing. You can download them to review from Dynon.
I believe the GRT is also in the wing.
Remember the wiring harness has to be pulled in too. Leave a path or buy the wiring kit and pull it in now.
The roll trim servo is in the fuse I think. Not quite there yet.

Last edited:
If the Garmin servo has a similar mount to Trutrak or MGL, then the roll servo can go in the fuselage under the pilot seat.

33AD0C05-7B7B-49CD-85E2-753919FF6AC0-7884-000005E514490564_zps47576e7c.jpg

photo is not of my aircraft (found using google search)

Geez Bumtyhump! I thought for a minute I was your twin :D

That picture looked real familiar to me.....now I know why!

I installed the Dynon roll and pitch trim with the AP74 control head recently. The aircraft had over 200 at installation. One of the easiest installs I have managed--particularly the roll servo. The Dynon mounting plate installs rather easily through the stock inspection panel. However, it would be easier installing the mounting plate before the wing is enclosed. Very easy to add the servo later if you choose to install the bracket during the build.

The two bolts that go through the leading edge spar are removed and the mounting bracket added. Installation after the build assumes you followed the Vans plans and used blind nuts during the install. Once the leading edge is on you will not have access to the front of the spar.

Back