What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Build Sequence Question

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
I've slowed down quite a bit on my build, mainly due to work, travel, ect. Good news is I'm able to fly quite a bit and hand flying a 172 6 hours is good motivation for the project.

I have a few things to finish on the wings but on the fuselage I'm completing section 35: 'Access covers and Floor panels' this weekend (before I fly out Sunday). I started to think about 'what next'... the next sections are brakes, fuel, controls ect. However I'm not ready to work those steps yet. So my question is can I skip forward to the Flaps or better yet if I cleco down the upper fuselage then can I trim and fit the Cabin top?

I'm guessing I could fit it all but not do fiberglass work until I'm ready to secure it... which would be after interior, avionics and anything else that would benefit from not having the top on.

Also another random question, anyone else feel it not necessary to prime/paint the access panel parts? In the case they corrode seems easy to replace.

I assume this is a quick build.

My recommendation:
- once you have the basic fuselage done, start on the canopy. It will go on and off multiple times before you are ready to permanently attach it. Do not do windows and doors until permanently attached.
- Install the big conduits that run under the rear seats and baggage compartment floor. I used Van's standard corrugated conduit, three on each side. I ended up fully filing the three on the left side and two on the right side.
- If using remote ADHARS modules make the shelf for them now. I used 3/8" honeycomb fiberglass board, attached to the top of the tail cone using aluminum sides riveted to the top two longerons, in the existing rivet holes.
- When done with the canopy (but not yet attached), paint the interior. I used PPG primer and PPG single stage paint. It has held up very well.
- Paint the inside top of the canopy. If you want use the spackle type paint for a much less labor intensive approach to filing and sanding and using a smooth paint. The other option is to fit an overhead liner. I found a nice one used on boats that is resistant to moisture and heat.
- Mount the rudder pedals, run the brake and fuel lines, and do all the wire runs you can leaving the ends long for final wire. Panel, avionics and all that other stuff waits until the end.
- Now, permanently attached the canopy top and move on to glass and doors.

Have fun,
Carl

Carl
- Af

Great guidance Carl. I'm in nearly the same place. Just working on the baggage area now.

And I have to finalize something I've been putting off for some time - My paint scheme. It has more ramifications than I thought originally - I'd like to powder coat the step but I can't do that until I know the exterior color scheme which means I also can't close up the baggage floorboards until I've picked the scheme and PC'd the step! I'm going to have to paint the interior shortly but again, can't really pick a color there until I know my exterior color scheme.

So many decisions!! I feel analysis paralysis coming on :)

I've slowed down quite a bit on my build, mainly due to work, travel, ect. Good news is I'm able to fly quite a bit and hand flying a 172 6 hours is good motivation for the project.

I have a few things to finish on the wings but on the fuselage I'm completing section 35: 'Access covers and Floor panels' this weekend (before I fly out Sunday). I started to think about 'what next'... the next sections are brakes, fuel, controls ect. However I'm not ready to work those steps yet. So my question is can I skip forward to the Flaps or better yet if I cleco down the upper fuselage then can I trim and fit the Cabin top?

I'm guessing I could fit it all but not do fiberglass work until I'm ready to secure it... which would be after interior, avionics and anything else that would benefit from not having the top on.

Also another random question, anyone else feel it not necessary to prime/paint the access panel parts? In the case they corrode seems easy to replace.
There is no reason you can't work on fitting the fuselage before the breaks/fuel lines. I bought the bonico breaks and fuel lines, and total installation time was just a couple of hours. I would just not permenently attach the top until you have as much of the interior items as possible, it is easier to work on the stuff inside without the cabin top in the way.

And I have to finalize something I've been putting off for some time - My paint scheme. It has more ramifications than I thought originally - I'd like to powder coat the step but I can't do that until I know the exterior color scheme which means I also can't close up the baggage floorboards until I've picked the scheme and PC'd the step! I'm going to have to paint the interior shortly but again, can't really pick a color there until I know my exterior color scheme.

I went through all this "what color, what paint" stuff on my first plane. On the RV-10 I just used the same interior paint as I did on the RV-8, medium gray for most, dark gray for the panel, stick, plenum and such. The RV-8 exterior was yellow and blue and these colors worked well. The RV-10 is red and silver and again these interior colors work well. There is a wide selection of seat covers and such that go with the medium gray.

So - you might want to worry less about matching interior and exterior. Look at new cars, one or two interior colors for a rainbow of exterior finishes.

On the step, while power coating will work an easier approach is just a couple of good coats of epoxy primer before installation, then paint with the rest of the fuselage. I added a piece of non-skid on the step itself to both help with footing and prevent paint wear.

Carl

I guess when I said 'this weekend' I meant at lunch today. I was able to finish up Section 35.

Thanks for the response Carl I appreciate the path forward you laid out. I had emailed you previously about conduits and took all your suggestions, CPVC in the wings and 3 runs each side in the fuselage. Between the cabin top and the fiberglass ends on the wings that should fill up my schedule for a few months.

Working off Carls Guidance and need to start working on the cabin top interior paint. I'm going to use the Aerosport headliner but don't want pink showing through and gaps.

What prep work should I do for the inside of the cabin top? I was thinking of just running some 320 grit sand paper over it, then clean with acetone, prime and paint.

For paint I'm going to find something making my planned seat color (Dove Gray). The idea is to paint the cabin top, interior panels and visible interior fuselage parts like baggage area ect with the same color/paint. If I can find something with PPG I'll start with that, if not I'll see what else I can find.

Thanks for sharing your plan.

It helps those who are following behind avoid paralysis by analysis.

I am a bit ahead of you in that I have the top cut to size and am working interior paint as well.

I have the Aerosport overhead consul glassed in and will use the headliner as well. Where the headliner goes I hit it with some sandpaper and primed to hide the pink, though I do not think anything would show. The rest of the area I sanded and filled and sanded and filled etc until I got to a point I was happy with the look and feel of it. Then primed and will eventually paint to match the interior.

Using SW Jet Flex for the interior. Have the loose interior panels primed and will prime the rest of the interior next week. Then paint both.

Hope that helps but sounds like you are on the right track.

Do not be afraid to jump around a bit in sequence.

E

Thanks for your post. Sounds like we're doing the same thing interior wise.

I'm keeping the carbon fiber look so the overhead I plan on some type of clear coat and gluing it down. When you say sanded and filled are you talking about the inside of the cabin top or where you glassed the overhead in?

If I could just take some 320 across the entire inside and then prime/paint. If I need to fill any pinholes or scratches then I could do some skimcoating, but not sure it matters since it's all getting covered up with the headliner.

Thanks again

Also keeping the CF look on the cabin top/consul.

I attached the overhead with epoxy resin and a layer of fiberglass cloth then filled.

The interior of the cabin top is pretty rough. If you want to get smooth and level some of the high/low spots may need a lower grit sandpaper to start (80 or even 60).

The fill is basically around the door opening and front windshield forward of where the headliner pieces will be from Aerosport.

Are you doing additional headliner forward of the Aerosport inserts?

E

Okay I see now, the flanges on the overhead get glassed over and then they end up getting covered by the headliner material.

I hadn't planned to do any additional headliner outside of the Aerosport kit. I guess I'll need to really ensure that area is cleaned up and looking decent.

Back