What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-721 Aft Canopy Deck Questions?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
1) Did you countersink the aft deck or dimple the aft deck and countersink the longeron?

2) What is the best way to set these rivets?

Thanks

F-721

Hey John
I machine countersunk the aft deck, not the longeron. I also pre-riveted the F-721A to the F-721B so I could use solid 426 rivets. Those two holes on each side were dimpled. As far as the best way for me was my Webster tungsten bucking bar fit up inside there nicely. What I like to do is wrap a fair amount of blue painters tape around the bottom to hold it out from the skin the width of the longeron. That way I just put it under the aft deck hold it straight and shoot nice rivets without having to worry how far to hold it away from the skin. Works for me.
There are two on each side above the uprights for the 404 bulkhead which are going to require some thought. I haven't installed those yet.
I installed the F-704K cap strips inadvertently before installing the decks and had to drill all the rivets to remove them as I had tool blocked myself installing some of the remaining deck rivets. Hope this all makes sense.

Back