What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rebuilding my RV-6

RV6AussieNick

Well Known Member
Around 18 months ago I bought a damaged RV6 following an engine failure on takeoff due to possible carbie icing.

I had been looking for something to keep me busy for a while and stumbled over an add on an aircraft sales website, after a few conversation with a mate we decided to fly down in his Lancair to check it out, initial inspections things didn't look too bad, damaged upper and LWR cowling, firewall crushed, canopy roll over frame bent, canopy smashed, empennage destroyed, prop destroyed and minor damage to the fuselage and LH wing, it all looked fixable so I bought it.

I have been working away on it every spare minute, I've been slowly working threw the damage and making changes to the airframe, with over 20 years experience working on B767 and B747 and more recently A330 aircraft has given me the practical knowledge to make judgment calls on repairs and mods. A lot of the time it's just a simple change of part.

For me it's a great way to wast hour after hour in the shed slowly putting her back together. She is starting to take shape again, still loads more to do so I thought I'd share what I have done so far with you guys. http://rv-6rebuild.blogspot.com/

I'd like to thank the dedicated builders out there who have published detailed photo's of their builds, for me it has been a great way to find new ideas on practical and innovative things I could do with my aircraft.

Cheers,

Wow! Progress looks great! Keep up the good work and soon you will be flying that thing. I am amazed at the amount of talent on this website. To be able to take a smacked up plane and get it looking and flying normally again...good job.

It is great that there are people like you who like to build.

I do have a question about the possible carb icing. My understanding is that it is a possibility when you DECREASE power, such as entering a pattern or starting a descent. If true, carb icing with full power seems unlikely.

Comments?

Carbie Icing

The previous owner thought it was carbie ice that caused the crash, when I removed the engine I found the fuel supply to the carbie at the elbow loose, the original owner and builder flew the aircraft for 650hrs and never had a problem with icing, maybe it was another issue that caused the engine to stop..
Thanks for the thumbs up, I'm really enjoying the time I'm putting into the rebuild.

Cheers,

Carb Ice

I do have a question about the possible carb icing. My understanding is that it is a possibility when you DECREASE power, such as entering a pattern or starting a descent. If true, carb icing with full power seems unlikely.

Comments?

I got it one time in a cruise setting. I came on slowly. I thought, no big deal I read about this in the manual. Well, I pulled on the carb heat and the engine started to really cough at about 1700 RPM. 40 seconds seemed like forever and then, varoom, full power again.

Last rivet

Nick,
I can't tell for sure from the website but it looks like you drilled the last rivet on the side skin. IIRC this has been an issue in the past and some builders have left that out b/o cracking of the canopy. I think there are some posts on the forum somewhere if you search.

Also, I installed the little bracket on the side early on so I could lift the canopy. I made the practice of lifting from the side for only an inch or so and then lifting from the middle of the back.

Check your pms.

Dave A.

Comments?

Carb ice can potentially strike at any time.

Hey Nick , My name is Mick and I am also a licensed aircraft engineer up in cairns north qld. Although our biggest aircraft I work on is the king air. But a variety of different aircraft keeps it interesting. I am currently refurbishing a Rv-4 that I bought that had a heavy landing and is in need of some TLC. If you are ever up this way be sure to make contact.

Cheers Mick Bray.

Back