What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleveland Trailing Edge Countersink Jig?

Roy25101

I am about to start on the rudder and I really like using the drill press to machine countersink. I am considering investing in this jig but was wondering if it would get much use throughout the build. Perhaps it will get use on the elevator and ailerons. Thanks for any input......

Training kit

I am about to start on the rudder and I really like using the drill press to machine countersink. I am considering investing in this jig but was wondering if it would get much use throughout the build. Perhaps it will get use on the elevator and ailerons. Thanks for any input......

If you built the control surface training kit, and you should have, drill it apart. Also good practice. Remove the wedge and use it as a shim. Works great. If not, buy the Cleveland Jig. They don't make bad tools. Enjoy. Build on.

I just bought one and will let you know later this week. I use the drill press as well But you have to be careful. I use a Cleaveland cage without the plastic foot. I did run into trouble when I had the wedge set too high in my jig and the cage slightly crushed the t.e. of the wedge. I tried to take my rasp and smooth it out. Well, don’t ever do that either.

I bought the jig as well as their angled flush rivet dies. Both worked well.

For what it's worth, I pro sealed the TE then sandwiched it between two pieces of heavy angle. When it came time to rivet, I squeezed them all with hand squeezer. no rivet gun required.

RV7, but I'd imagine the 14 is the same process

Pix in my build log March 5th, 2020.

If you want to send me a pm with your email I’ll send you some pictures of my Cleaveland jig. I’d do it on here but I always have trouble trying to post pictures.
My first impression of the jig is like most things from Cleaveland 👍
And don’t use the substructure die on the rudder. This is my opinion and I didn’t want to start a debate on nesting. The problem with the rudder is it’s early in the build, and for first offenders, you’re still learning. I couldn’t figure out why I was having trouble with back riveting. Everything I had read was it’s the easiest rivet to set. Turned out the ss die was enlarging the dimples in the stiffeners just enough to make it difficult to set the rivets properly.

Cleveland dies

If you want to send me a pm with your email I’ll send you some pictures of my Cleaveland jig. I’d do it on here but I always have trouble trying to post pictures.
My first impression of the jig is like most things from Cleaveland 👍
And don’t use the substructure die on the rudder. This is my opinion and I didn’t want to start a debate on nesting. The problem with the rudder is it’s early in the build, and for first offenders, you’re still learning. I couldn’t figure out why I was having trouble with back riveting. Everything I had read was it’s the easiest rivet to set. Turned out the ss die was enlarging the dimples in the stiffeners just enough to make it difficult to set the rivets properly.

Try using the Tank die on the second layer and SS die on third instead. So Tank die on stiffeners. A little less enlarging of dimples. Fit is nice.
That said, most RVs were probably built with one set of dies.

Back