VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-7/7A (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Terrifying Tale of FrankenSnorkel ! (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=118549)

JonJay 10-14-2014 10:51 AM

Very funny and well written tale of horror. I was involved with one of the very first applications in an RV8 around 1998 or so. Doesn't look like anything has changed. It was indeed horrifying.....

ppilotmike 10-14-2014 12:23 PM

Stupid question?

I'll be the guy... What mod requires this to be done.. Aftermarket cowl? I thought the FAB intake was essentially right out in front. :confused:

boom3 10-14-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppilotmike (Post 925035)
I'll be the guy... What mod requires this to be done.. Aftermarket cowl? I thought the FAB intake was essentially right out in front. :confused:

Both cowls are available from Vans. One has the FAB air inlet directly out the front and the other uses square air filter just inside the left cowl opening.(This is the one where you need a snorkel.) The difference is vertical vs horizontal induction.

RV9A Bill 10-14-2014 12:49 PM

Frankensnorkle

Mine took lots of fitting on an IO- 360 parallel valve.

scrollF4 10-14-2014 12:52 PM

This is the stock RV-7 cowl for an IO-360M1B 180hp horizontal induction setup, and the FAB came with the firewall forward kit. The engine is a factory-new stock Lycoming YIO-360M1B, and the baffle kit is also the stock Vans kit for the same engine. With the snorkel centered on the fuel injector, the FAB extended an inch past the left intake ramp and side wall. Vans confirmed that this snorkel will be too long since it's intended for the 200hp version.

Danny, thanks. I did a lot of what you described, but I'm gonna need more practice.

Paul, that looks great! I may give you a call later.

rightrudder 10-14-2014 03:36 PM

Highly impressive ductwork-ery. It might've been easier to vacuum-bag the fiberglass around the starter! :)

Danny King 10-14-2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rzbill (Post 924973)
Danny,
Your sig file says angle valve motor. The OPs is a parallel. They are different widths.

While I imagine one can install the snorkel on a parallel valve without cutting it, its my opinion that the filter sits to far outboard and it affects the outboard baffle position negatively where it interfaces with the cowl.

Yes, I realize that the parallel valve engine has less room to work with, but one of the engines I did was a Superior I0360 parallel valve with the new metal cold air sump. The snorkel fit the same way with a little more "centering" work at the flange. I figured at the time that the difference in the fit was because of the non Lycoming sump with placement of the throttle body close, but not exactly the same as the Lycoming.

I think Van sell two different snorkels. One for the parallel valve cylinders, and a longer one for the angle valve engines. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that one snorkel part number was: ???? and the other snorkel was the same number with a -1 after it! (????-1)
YMMV

David-aviator 10-15-2014 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny King (Post 925181)
Yes, I realize that the parallel valve engine has less room to work with, but one of the engines I did was a Superior I0360 parallel valve with the new metal cold air sump. The snorkel fit the same way with a little more "centering" work at the flange. I figured at the time that the difference in the fit was because of the non Lycoming sump with placement of the throttle body close, but not exactly the same as the Lycoming.

I think Van sell two different snorkels. One for the parallel valve cylinders, and a longer one for the angle valve engines. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that one snorkel part number was: ???? and the other snorkel was the same number with a -1 after it! (????-1)
YMMV

Danny,
The catalog shows one induction kit (-1) for the IO-360M1B and 1B6 engines going into the -7 or -8. The dimensions must be the same.

With the -7 I trial fit a snorkel to the cold sump with AFP FM200 controller and it would have required major changes to it and or the cowl, did not use it. With the 8, same set up except FM150 controller, the snorkel fit perfect, made one small mod to clear a bolt on the starter.

Things get complicated if the fuel controller is different than what comes with Vans engines. The FM150 is the same.

Paul K 10-15-2014 09:46 AM

Scroll,

I created a new picasa page of all the photos I took building the custom snorkel. Made lots of mistakes and would do it differently if I did it over again but here they are:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1033987...eat=directlink

BenNabors 10-15-2014 02:14 PM

Paul K: Any concerns for galvanic corrosion between the aluminum rivets and the carbon? The potential voltage is about 1.5 volts.