What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

anybody have an RV12 in a flying club?

Kmdpilot

Curious if anyone has an RV12 ELSA in a flying club? If so, how hard was it to get insurance? only contacted on insurer Avemco and they were no way, no how on experimental or LSA in flying clubs. I would think it would be a great plane to have in a club. Gotta be safer than a 60 year old 150.

Curious if anyone has an RV12 ELSA in a flying club? If so, how hard was it to get insurance? only contacted on insurer Avemco and they were no way, no how on experimental or LSA in flying clubs. I would think it would be a great plane to have in a club. Gotta be safer than a 60 year old 150.

Generally, the insurance folks have been friendly to the RV12 from my experience. It's not super fast, has fixed gear with a nose wheel and a good record of being safe during all phases of flight.

Our group of 11 owners uses Falcon Insurance for our ELSA 12iS. We are a mix of Sport and Private pilots with some owners having significant flying time. Also, a couple of our owners attended the Rotax Maintenance Course too.

Our group is also very good at maintenance, doing 100 hour inspections for our plane; our log books and binders are well documented with the goal of following Vans/Rotax maintenance schedule exactly.

Hope that helps.

Hi Mike - It sounds to me like you are describing the "Flying 12" club that stemmed from a chapter build project. Is that the case?

If so, is there a way that someone could get some dual in your club airplane? I'm just over the hill in Tracy and finishing up my -12 build. Would love to find a way to get some dual without traveling out of state. If I could do it in a way that put a few $ in your club budget instead of Southwest, Marriot, and Enterprise that would be great.

Sorry for the thread break. I think that overall this is an important question for the -12. Part of the design mission is as a trainer, but they obviously aren't having success in that market segment.

Generally, the insurance folks have been friendly to the RV12 from my experience. It's not super fast, has fixed gear with a nose wheel and a good record of being safe during all phases of flight.

Our group of 11 owners uses Falcon Insurance for our ELSA 12iS. We are a mix of Sport and Private pilots with some owners having significant flying time. Also, a couple of our owners attended the Rotax Maintenance Course too.

Our group is also very good at maintenance, doing 100 hour inspections for our plane; our log books and binders are well documented with the goal of following Vans/Rotax maintenance schedule exactly.

Hope that helps.

Hi Mike - It sounds to me like you are describing the "Flying 12" club that stemmed from a chapter build project. Is that the case?

If so, is there a way that someone could get some dual in your club airplane? I'm just over the hill in Tracy and finishing up my -12 build. Would love to find a way to get some dual without traveling out of state. If I could do it in a way that put a few $ in your club budget instead of Southwest, Marriot, and Enterprise that would be great.

Sorry for the thread break. I think that overall this is an important question for the -12. Part of the design mission is as a trainer, but they obviously aren't having success in that market segment.

Direct message sent to your vansairforce account.

FlySRQ

Not affiliated with the club at all but I see the airplane at local events and at the occasional breakfast run. May be worthwhile to reach out. They have been around for a bit.

https://flysrq.org/

I have an RV-12 in a multi-way partnership, with N aircraft and N partners.

We insure our aircraft for liability only via Falcon and maintain a self insured fund for hull. No issues getting insurance.

Back