What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Turkey runs

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
oh wait that doesn't sound good....

who went flying on Thanksgiving. We're doing our Turkey dinner on Saturday when Jake and girlfriend can come up. So today I went for a loop around the valley.

If turkeys can fly, so can I

First order of business was a fuel injector flow balance test. all cylinders peaked within 0.4gph. Then I did a speed run to check if I've lost any performance this year. Nope still running strong after 3 yrs.
IMG_20131128_140056_639_zpsaea02841.jpg

Then up the lake(already freezing up) to the hunting area
IMG_20131128_140523_269_zps8fe27124.jpg

Banking north under MT Baldy.
IMG_20131128_140705_227_zps896ee965.jpg

Elk country, The Upper Ground...bring your good boots
IMG_20131128_140756_398_zps6c742ef0.jpg

The foothills where I spend a little time walking my gun and filling my freezer.
IMG_20131128_141039_869_zps2e1dbbed.jpg

on the way home, I swung past my friends ranch house...I smell dinner
IMG_20131128_141226_893_zps15cdaa3b.jpg

Cold and fun

I went for a 2 hour flight to burn off some of my 40 hours in phase 1 17 more to go after today at 23 hrs now.
Bob

For you guys up in the NW, years and years ago I went on a demo flight from the Vans factory. We circled Mount-something or other, and the view was astonishing. For years I've wondered which mountain that was, but have never pulled up a map to try and guess. Any ideas which mountain it may have been?

Thanks, Carl! Yes, I should have specified that we circled 'in view of' an astonishing mountain! (I posted from my iPhone and didn't type out enough detail). This flight was long before reliable camera phones and I didn't take a regular camera, so my only memory is just etched in my mind. I remember that even though the mountain was a good distance away, it looked giant to me-- since we don't have anything like that around Dallas or Fort Worth :) Thanks for the reply.

T-day flight

The In-Laws wanted to "see" the airplane, so we obviously ended up taking a couple of loops around the valley to "see" it from the inside at 2000' AGL.
And, Moose, thanks for the memory of watching WKRP when the turkey episode first aired.

Finally VFR

I had to fly on Thanksgiving Morning since SE TX finally went VFR after a few rainy days! Also took a short hop on Thanksgiving Eve, and while there isn't any photogenic mountain scenery near Houston this sight caught my eye as I was taxiing in at sunset:

e19438bb4e125e9a71793387c01c5159_zps5e78d5dd.jpg

Carl

Thanksgiving Day

Many reasons to give thanks.
Today November 29th, was special for me. I made a short flight, my first in several weeks.
I had cataract surgery and two lens implants. I am now able to see 20 20 without glasses. My flying was going to come to an end, except for the miracle of modern medicine, and My friend and doc who flys a RV8

Excellent news Jay. Congratulations on the improved peepers.

I started needing reading glasses last year and progressively getting worse. Since I made it over 50 years with great sight, I took it for granted. Not anymore. I cherish my vision.

Many reasons to give thanks.
Today November 29th, was special for me. I made a short flight, my first in several weeks.
I had cataract surgery and two lens implants. I am now able to see 20 20 without glasses. My flying was going to come to an end, except for the miracle of modern medicine, and My friend and doc who flys a RV8

Nice going jay, now you can see how good lookn I really am. Come on down to sunny Florida again.
edfad51087f394a2d12dc4c24567325e.jpg

Turkey Rod Run

Finally had the chance to attend the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona this Thanksgiving Day weekend!

Busy windy day landing on rwy 34

Doesn't get much lower then this Rat Rod!

ATC alomost ruined a shot of the track, but a quick behind the head shot saved the day!

Back