What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone upper fairing scribe lines

BobbyLucas

Well Known Member
Has anyone else come across scribe lines like this on the upper tailcone fairing? Click on pic to enlarge. And sorry, I'm not a photographer. :eek:

Response from Van's:

"I’m told the mold was re-scribed because the initial trim was too aggressive for some builders and you should use the more conservative trim lines, you can always remove more if needed."

That doesn't add up in my mind given that the double scribe lines overlap each other at the corners, are non-parallel in some areas, missing in other areas, final-trimmed to the scribe line in one area, etc. At any rate, the response implies that all of the parts shipped after the mold change look like this? My empennage kit was ordered 11/2019.

Lesson learned: I should have spent more time considering this issue before jumping in with the cutting tools. "I cut it twice and it's still too short!" :eek: Hopefully I can still make the part work and look good.

Attachments

• Tailcone fairing issue.jpg
    Tailcone fairing issue.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 280
Tail cone scribe lines

I feel your pain. I am on my third iteration and set of tail cones. You cannot trust the scribe lines for the final fit. I leave them a little large/long and sneak up on it with a Dremel tool and or sandpaper. Lots of on and off, on and off.

It is cosmetic but the parts are not too expensive and getting a good fit is worth the extra time.

I did the same thing Don describes, but in the end I ended up on my scribe lines. I would still do it the same way.

Back