What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics 1 Screen or 2?

NZ_Pompey

I'm just about to pull the trigger on my 12is avionics package, and still not sure whether to go 1 screen or 2. (It will be Dynon not Garmin, plus AP, and AP knob panels).
As I normally fly with an Ipad running Avplan for mapping/weather (i'm in NZ), I'm thinking I may just be better off with a single screen and mounting the Ipad on the right side.

Aside from redundancy are there other good reasons to opt for two screens instead of one, given I will primarily just need to display engine data on the PFD?
Also if I opt for the non-powder coated panels, do these still have the cut-outs from the factory for the screen, radio, and AP knob module or do I need to break out the tools and cut some holes?

Thanks!
Paul

In a previous life, the saying went "two is one, one is none". I'd opt for two, personally....

I flew with a single Dynon 10" screen for 6 years. I now have a second one in the panel. I had always planned for the possibility to add another, so it was easy to add it.

I had the single screen lock up on boot several times and ultimately had to send it back for repair (twice). With the single screen, you are effectively grounded since you don't have the necessary instrumentation for flight. Thankfully, my issues didn't leave me stranded away from home base.

I don't really use the second screen at all during flying. I'm so used to just using the single screen on my side. It does give my passenger something to watch! :D

If you order both HDXs and the AP knob modules, Van’s will punch them. And I use the RH HDX full screen for the engine monitor and the LH screen for PFD and moving map. Works for me.

Last edited:
Two screens are nice. If you have the funds, I’d go for it. It’s nice to have when flying with other pilots who can help run the avionics when flying in busy airspace. And/or you can bring up the ADSB full screen to see traffic. Or if you fly from the right seat you can look at the screen in front of you.

If you go with one screen, bring an iPad. You can use it while connected to the plane’s on board avionics.

Hope that helps.

I have a legacy RV12 so a second screen was marginal in terms of electrical capacity. I installed some backup steam gauges instead which I've never needed yet, but they look nice and may be useful one day. In the 6 years that I've flown with a single screen, I've never felt like I needed another one. One is plenty, especially in the low-traffic environment we operate in south of the equator. However, it really comes down to personal choice and how much you want to spend on the panel. I don't think there's any real need for two screens for single pilot operations in a day VFR plane like the RV-12, but you may see it differently.

I think monitoring the engine, electrical and fuel data is important enough to have its own screen - something you can see without reading glasses.:) Plus on the 12iS, the extra load on the B voltage regulator is a good thing.

Attachments

• 12iS eng.jpg
    12iS eng.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 160
As a lot of people have or will point out and you already know, a second screen is not necessary. We can approach this decision from the perspective of what is important to fly, or from the perspective of our own vision for this thing we want to build. One screen is important to fly so it's easy to answer the question from that approach. From there it's a decision we make and we all have our own expectation or 'use case' with the airplanes we build. As I read your post the use case you describe (ie, the way you want to fly your plane) uses two screens. That's how you have described wanting to operate the airplane that you are building. I plan to order my avionics some time this year and have been going over this same decision. I also want to fly my RV with two screens. Your question doesn't really seem to be about 1 or 2 screens, rather which screens each should be.

Considering the time and money that I'm putting into my airplane, the marginal cost of the second EFIS is minor in order for it to be a standalone solution. I don't like the idea of putting a few years of work and having an airplane that's dependent on third party consumer electronics to be operated the way I want. I love Apple products and the iPad is a great device, but after all this I won't spec the airplane to rely on one.

Dynon

I'm just about to pull the trigger on my 12is avionics package, and still not sure whether to go 1 screen or 2. (It will be Dynon not Garmin, plus AP, and AP knob panels).
As I normally fly with an Ipad running Avplan for mapping/weather (i'm in NZ), I'm thinking I may just be better off with a single screen and mounting the Ipad on the right side.

Aside from redundancy are there other good reasons to opt for two screens instead of one, given I will primarily just need to display engine data on the PFD?
Also if I opt for the non-powder coated panels, do these still have the cut-outs from the factory for the screen, radio, and AP knob module or do I need to break out the tools and cut some holes?

Thanks!
Paul

If you are looking for Dynon avionics check Northwest Avionics, www.northwestavionics.com (206-799-6529) They by far have the best pricing for Dynon over all the other dealers. I doubt you will not find better prices.
Have bought twice from them.
Bullett Bob

I vote for more screens, obviously...
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 10.36.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 10.36.47 AM.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 153
Back