What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Happy Birthday Dad

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
It was my Dad's 84th birthday today so I took off work early so we could go flying together in the 6A. My Dad has been a pilot for over 60 years, military pilot (Harvard, T34, B25, DC3, P51, Vampire, T33, F86, ASW Argus, VIP flight) then corporate (P Navajo, King Air). Flying is his life and he loves it. My Dad is awesome! Thanks Dad for everything and Happy Birthday!

dadbd2012flight0002.jpg

dadbd2012flight0004.jpg

dadbd2012flight0008.jpg

The 6A comes apart now for an engine overhaul, major inspection and some more mods. It's been 9 years since first flight. Time flies!

Last edited:
Take a moment and consider how truly lucky you are. Great story.

Absolutely. I never take for granted how lucky I have been to share his skill and knowledge and to be able to afford to build and fly the RV in the first place. :)

Great story

What a great post! Spending time with my father is a big reason I want to do this build and it's great to see a story like this on thanksgiving weekend

What a great post! Spending time with my father is a big reason I want to do this build and it's great to see a story like this on thanksgiving weekend

Yes, it is a great way to spend quality time together, bucking rivets and then getting to fly the plane. I'm so fortunate my Dad is even more crazy about airplanes than me!:)

Well you didn't just get that lucky all on your own. Clearly it's in your genes. B25, P51, F86 etc etc....my god, your father has had a life. I bet he can tell stories until the sun comes up.

What a great life! Reminds me of the help my 85 year old father has given now and then. My father was a pilot back in the late 40's, early 50's. Owned part of a float plane and flew with the State police. Yah, one of the guys who used to time your speed between the two white lines on the side of the road.

Your dad has a much deeper flight history than my dad. Even though, if I could just soak up what he forgets! I should be so lucky.

This is about the only photo I have of my dad helping with the RV.

IMG_9076.JPG

Hey Ross,

Congrats to you and your Dad!

Nothing in the entire world like....F-A-M-I-L-Y :)!!

Wonderful post and great pictures, thanks so much for sharing :)!

I like to read about families passing down the love of flying to the next generation. All of us flying RVs who have had the help and support of family members along the way are blessed.

And yes, my Dad has had a great flying career. He was in the RCAF at the time when you could just sign out a couple F86s with your best buddy almost any time you wanted and look for some "trouble". Trouble was finding RAF Vampires or Meteors, USAF Sabres, F84s, French, Belgian jets to dogfight with when he was based in France and Germany. Maybe the occasional dawn 4 plane section dropping 80 rolls of TP from the dive brake wells at low level on "enemy" air fields to rile them up.

The Canadian Sabres had the Orenda engine which had a lot more thrust than the J47 ones so they had an unfair advantage in dogfights over the American F86s. Sorry! Plenty of time comparing and critiquing the days gun film. Those were the days!

The RV is no P51 or F86 of course but a LOT more fun than renting a 172! We've both really enjoyed flying the RV a lot and even the building phase doesn't seem so bad 10 years later... (before the pre-punched era)

Good for you.

Unfortunately, my Dad flew west last year....from the retirement home and I never did have the opportunity to take him flying in my -6A.

You guys with living Fathers and Mothers, heed this good advice. :)

Best,

lucky man

My Dad went west two years before my first flight so I never did have the opportunity to take him flying.

But when I was on my 8 for my first time I was sure he was in the back seat, with me

:)

Awesome.

You and your Dad are very lucky indeed. Glad you had a special flight. Hope you are fortunate to have many more.

Hey Ross

Give your Dad my best. Question: where did he do his Argus time? I grew up in Greenwood with the roar of those Wright R-3350s.

Hey Ross

Give your Dad my best. Question: where did he do his Argus time? I grew up in Greenwood with the roar of those Wright R-3350s.

He flew Neptunes and Argus based in Summerside PEI. I can recall a beatup by 3 Argus at maybe 250 feet one day in formation over our house on the base- 12 X R-3350s! What a sound. These R-3350s were one of the most powerful versions at 3700hp with water/methanol injection used for takeoff- engineer, give me wet power- so cool. Great memories as a 6 year old kid and we got to sit in these planes and look at the armament on airforce day, that was way cool.:)

Sorry to hear some of you lost your fathers before you could take them up in your RVs. Time is precious. This is a great way to spend time with your Dad.

He might have known my uncle, Paul Richardson. He was a nav on Lancasters, Neptunes, and Argus, and he spent quite a bit of time in Summerside (415 Sqn, I think).

I was in the Air Cadets in 1980, part of the ground crew launching gliders off of Foxtrot taxiway in Greenwood one Saturday morning when an Argus taxied out and went to wet power to take off on runway 26. Way more than 120dB (it was painful, even at 100 yds). 20 minutes later, the very first CP-140 Aurora landed on its delivery flight from Lockheed. Cool.

He might have known my uncle, Paul Richardson. He was a nav on Lancasters, Neptunes, and Argus, and he spent quite a bit of time in Summerside (415 Sqn, I think).

I was in the Air Cadets in 1980, part of the ground crew launching gliders off of Foxtrot taxiway in Greenwood one Saturday morning when an Argus taxied out and went to wet power to take off on runway 26. Way more than 120dB (it was painful, even at 100 yds). 20 minutes later, the very first CP-140 Aurora landed on its delivery flight from Lockheed. Cool.

I'll ask, my Dad has kept in touch with hundreds of friends from the airforce and goes to the Sabre reunions every time. Yep the noise of those Wrights was impressive. The ground shook when those three Argus flew over low level! :cool:

Father & son

Ross,
You,re one lucky guy,I would have love to go flying with my Dad...

''He flew Neptunes and Argus based in Summerside PEI''

I was based in Summerside at 413 SAR SQN for 5 years in the early 80's just as the Argus were leaving the base...

Enjoy every minute that you can..

Cheers

Bruno

Ross,
You,re one lucky guy,I would have love to go flying with my Dad...

''He flew Neptunes and Argus based in Summerside PEI''

I was based in Summerside at 413 SAR SQN for 5 years in the early 80's just as the Argus were leaving the base...

Enjoy every minute that you can..

Cheers

Bruno

I am surprised at the number of RV guys here who still remember the Argus. :)

Back