What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bad Flueting and Bad Scratch Questions

Mohammed

Patron
Hi,

I came into my building process where I have to prepare the ribs by deburring and flueting them. I have seen some flueting youtube videos long time ago so I thought I know what I am doing.. So I attacked the 1st rib and here is the result! :

bad_flueting.jpg

So is this reversible/fixable? I thought of ordering a new one but since I don't live in the US it will take few weeks to arrive at my door steps.

When I watched the videos again I new my mistake that I should do it light and gradually with checking each time:confused:

Also Another mistake I did with another rib (HS404) is this:

rib_scratch.jpg

I think I accidently did that while filing the two notches in the aft flange. Can I just sand it? or is it a write off?

The rib is fixable. You should be able to straighten it out by "de-fluting" and flattening on your work bench. The scratches can be smoothed with scotch brite and after paint you will never know. Build on!

Regarding that HS404 rib that has been notched. I see a sharp 90* angle. With a round file, let me suggest that you soften the angle by rounding that inside corner.
As you know, a sharp angle places stresses on the this area. Scotch Brite the scratches out. You're good to go.
Best,

Fluting

As already mentioned, your flutes are too deep and your corner too square. Flatten your flutes with some big pliers or turn around your fluting pliers. Go slower next time.

When you make a notch like your picture, drill a hole in the corner and make two cuts into the corner to remove the material. You will end up with a nice radius in the corner.

Tell us what it is like to build in Saudi. Do you have any other builders or support in your area?

Thank you all guys for the help and answers

The images were a bit old so the 90 degree corners. I had already smooth it out to a round corner

Robert, the building in Saudi is difficult but not impossible. There are many professional aviators, mechanics, A&Ps both civil and mil but we don't have a community of hobbiests or builders. Apart from me there is one project to build a Zenith CH something. The project is joint venture between mechanical engineering collage and paramotor school.

I'll talk about the whole subject in my build thread or separate topic

Sneak up on it

When fluting go slow the first few ribs....ie sneak up on the final result. After a few you will get the feel and get them close after a few tries. Seaming pliers work well for de-fluting.

Marc

I fluted ribs against the straight edge of my workbench, so I could check straightness as I was fluting. Note that I didn't even have to flute every space.

FP20052012A0008M.jpg

Mohammed,

Years ago I bought a pair of fluting pliers from Avery that were made from a pair of Vice-Grips. I really suggest sending for a pair since the depth of fluting can be carefully controlled. You merely start out at a shallow setting and then increase the depth by turning the thumb screw slightly. The rib will start to flatten and should be checked often against the flat surface of the workbench. When an area of the rib is flat, mark those flutes, so you'll know they don't need any further depth. BTW, you can flatten a flute slightly if you go too far, but the scratches look on your rib look too deep for the part to be salvaged. You'll have be your own judge and jury on the scratches.

Jim

Yep, go easy

Mohammed,

Fluting is only necessary if the part is not flat. You may find that some parts need very little or no fluting as they come from Vans. Look at the pic below and you'll see how subtle the fluting is on this HS rib.
DSC_1071.jpg

Back