What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I been to the desert in a plane with a name...

[email protected]

Well Known Member
Me and Missy took my beast to the desert!

The Alvord Desert showed up on a recent list of top destinations that Bob Axsom is putting together. It looked intriguing... after a bit of VAF and goggle research we set off to investigate.

Landed
testfb.jpg

Even in the desert there is shade... cell service... and the internet!
img0114mn.jpg

The Alvord Desert
pushthisone.jpg

Main gear penetration shot
img1878c.jpg

Tail wheel
img1880b.jpg

From the BLM
http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/burns/recreation/alvord-mann.php
While Steens Mountain looms to the west, the shimmering salt flats of the Alvord Desert unfold to the east. The Alvord Desert playa, which can be either wet or dry depending on the time of year, is one of the largest playas in Oregon?six miles wide and 11 miles long. Tens of thousands of years ago, a lake almost 200 feet deep covered the Alvord Desert and extended southward into Nevada. The old shoreline forms terraces along the edge of the valley, and deep under the desert floor are the same lava flows that make up the top of Steens Mountain.

looks like you're about ready for a new tire...especially when landing in the middle of nowhere.

Missy's going to start packing an umbrella and big lemonade.:D

I have only been there once with Joe Blank and a buddy of his. You can fly along at 200mph five feet above the desert floor, land any direction the wind allows, and along with your lasting memories, you will still be finding dust in nooks and cranny's of your airplane for years!
If you are lucky you might see a herd of wild horses too.
Very cool place.

Desert landings

Anyone ever landed at the Bonneville Salt Flats? It's one of my bucket list places, ever since reading about the land speed record attempts in the 50's in Hot Rod Magazine. (Mickey Thompson, 4 pontiac engines, one for each wheel, aluminum body, about 345 mph as I recall).
Wonder if the salt would be too corrosive to even consider it?

Steven,

Cool! Was there much water on the lakebed? It didn't look like it from your pics.

Last August when we went, about 1/2 of the lakebed was still underwater and you could not land on the west side near the hot springs. You DO NOT want to land on the wet surface...:eek: So we landed on the east side instead. As JonJay said just land anywhere...

Here is a pic from last years outing with some of the Vans guys...
IMG_0491-sm.jpg

Back