What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

loose carb bottom

jacksel

Well Known Member
I have a MA-4-5 carb on my RV-6. I recently noticed the bolts connecting the 2 halves of the unit have become loose. The anti-rotation washers are still in place but somehow all the bolts are a little loose. It's possible to jiggle the whole bottom half of the carb. Do anyone sell a kit for repairing this sort of problem?

I have a MA-4-5 carb on my RV-6. I recently noticed the bolts connecting the 2 halves of the unit have become loose. The anti-rotation washers are still in place but somehow all the bolts are a little loose. It's possible to jiggle the whole bottom half of the carb. Do anyone sell a kit for repairing this sort of problem?

I've seen that. My experience was that all you need to do is buy 4 new tabbed washers, disassemble, then reassemble using the new washers.

Check

I believe that there is a SB for that issue. You should check their website.

When I was watching mine get rebuilt, the guy mentioned that many times people don't properly engage the tabs enough to stop the heads from rotating. He also emphasized to position the anti rotation tab that points downward so it can't rotate counterclockwise past the corner of the carb, it it should already be rotated as far ccw as possible.

Chris

Carb Issue

We just had this happen to a PA-28-180 on the field, twice within 10 Hrs. Finally took the carb down, did what the SB required, but also put the screws back in with Locktite...

Check your FAB fit

I had this issue on my -4, and aside from the above posts, the carb gets alot of side-to-side movement from the snorkle of the FAB if it has a very tight rubber seal at the front end. The engine moves around from torque and start-up/shut-down. I had to do a little re-work of the seal on mine to allow a bit more flex in the seal.

What I do

It happened to me too. I was getting engine hesitation when I advanced the throttle and deiseling on shutdown. Now, I reach into the air inlet with my fingers every preflight to make sure the air box doesn't wiggle due to a loose carb bowl. John

Leaking MA-4-5

Sorry for posting this here but I can't see how to post a new thread. My MA-4-5 carb is leaking when I turn the fuel pump on. Where can I send it to get it repaired?

N9PT RV-6A

Back