What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2016 Review

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
2016 Review

Logged 211.2. Hours in all planes. Mine and customers.

Home base is Hicks Airfield, T67. Fort Worth, Texas

Flying Trips

Super Cub 'Shooter' to Big Bend Area of Texas, 19.2 hours of pure eye candy! Flying canyons, camping, and visiting local folks.

C180J 'Paul Revere' to Florida and Key West. Fun, fun, fun!

Exp Super Cub to Oshkosh. 64.8 hours. We landed Every North Dakota Public Use airport all 89. ND has a passport book and a stamp for each airport. We landed most before heading to Oshkosh. After OSH we flew back to get the 7 we missed on the first try. ND gives prizes for different levels of accomplishment in their pass port book. Fill the book! Land every airstrip, and you get a Cap, a Flight Bag, and a Leather Flight Jacket. I told Carol, this will be the most expensive Leather Jacket ever. We have to go back up to get it! The rewards are given out March, 5th.. burrrr

C180J to Port Aransas, Texas for a stay at Amelia's Landing. Always, a fun time!

RV8 'Borrowed Horse' took us to Santa Fe, New Mexico for a river rafting adventure, then to Colorado to visit friends. It did lots of Lunch runs. And short trips to Oklahoma, to visit friends.

We attended the Texas STOL competition. In Lano, TX.

Can't believe we only went to Port Aransas, once in 2016? Usually get a few trips down there.. perfect trip for an RV for us.

We were at Reklaw. Fly-In. Allways fun!

My shop saw 2 new RV8s fly in 2016. Hope to see more than 2 in the coming year.

All in all a successful year.
The C180J got a new engine. I dropped the deposit check off in person on the way to Florida. The salesman was supprised!
My log book ticked over the 5000 hour mark. A personal milestone. Now it has 5123.8.

Did not fly to Idaho, first time to miss since DR and I went so long ago, 12 years? Plan to go back this year.

Let's here about your adventures from 2016. Wishing all of you a healthy
Happy 2017! Hope for tailwinds and clear sky's

Last edited:
Fill the book! Land every airstrip, and you get a Cap, a Flight Bag, and a Leather Flight Jacket. I told Carol, this will be the most expensive Leather Jacket ever. We have to go back up to get it! The rewards are given out March, 5th.. burrrr

Not too sure about that. I once bought a hangar to get a "free" leather jacket.
That one ran me $12,500 (1984 $$)!

Last edited:
2016 review in Jay's format

Logged 765 hours in all planes 99% in my RV9A. Home base Solberg Airport N51 New Jersey.

Trips to SnF, St.Pierre and Miquelon, Alaska above Arctic Circle and CONUS Perimeter.

Participated in VA Aviation Ambassador Program similar to ND Jay mentioned.
Short two stamps before I get my free leather jacket. I do have to fly there to get it.

My logbook (#6) ticked 3,000 hours in single engine airplanes a personal milestone. Now it has 3,415.6 haven't had a chance to stop at RV Central.

Happy flying al in 2017!

My free leather jacket only cost me 20 years in the USN. I wouldn't trade it for anything. 2016 flew about 150 hours including a trip to OSH to fly in the big RV formation flight. What a great airplane, and more importantly, what a great group of people I've met flying a Van's RV. Lizard sends

Not in the same league as most of you but did fly 63 hours starting in June after my wife passed away.

Logged 129 landings, finally learned how to land the RV-8, have no apprehensions about it at all anymore forever. :):):)

Great fighter for patrolling area for enemy terrorists west of St Louis along Missouri River.

2016 Flight Review

Judie and I did 151 hours in the RV6.
April to Sun N Fun and to visit friends at Spruce Creek and 2 days at Palm Beach.
July to Sheridan, Wy. for the rodeo.
July to Spearfish, S.D. For the Cessna 180/185 convention
July to Oshkosh
Sept. To Triple Tree, S.C for 3 days
Oct. To North Texas for the L-19, Bird Dog reunion, Fred was the airboss.
Oct. Petit Jean, Arkansas.
Oct. Port Aransas for a week.
Oct. Reklaw fly-in, but that was in a Grumman.
Several trips to Denton, Tx.
All of these from Fredericksburg, Tx.
We will do better in 2017!:)

My 2016

I live at Hicks (T67) just north of Jay Pratt. I logged 111.7 hours in my 2002 RV-6A this year. Most of my time in the air this year was spent flying rescue missions for Pilots N Paws. I met quite a few nice people that were either adopting or fostering the dogs that I delivered.
We still managed some $100 BBQ and sightseeing flights!

Happy New Year, all of you VAF'ers!

Here is a summary of my 2016 Flying.

Not quite as impressive as Vlad's year, but I did better my hours flown by +1 from last year.

Looking forward to more fun in 2017 (and maybe some paint?) :D

Wow!!!

Logged 765 hours in all planes 99% in my RV9A. Home base Solberg Airport N51 New Jersey.

Trips to SnF, St.Pierre and Miquelon, Alaska above Arctic Circle and CONUS Perimeter.

Participated in VA Aviation Ambassador Program similar to ND Jay mentioned.
Short two stamps before I get my free leather jacket. I do have to fly there to get it.

My logbook (#6) ticked 3,000 hours in single engine airplanes a personal milestone. Now it has 3,415.6 haven't had a chance to stop at RV Central.

Happy flying al in 2017!

765 hours in one year! You have an iron behind. That is impressive on anyone's list.

Hope more will tell us their 2016 stories. I am looking for ideas to keep us interested.

Back