VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-6/6A (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Show Us Your Panel (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=23846)

jsharkey 11-23-2007 02:43 PM

Show Us Your Panel

Here is my RV6 panel so far - still to be wired!

Dynon D100, GPS Map 496, A210, GTX 327
Cheap Chinese ASI and ALT from Van's - We'll see how they work
UMA electric tach - feels nice
Oil P & T, Ammeter and Fuel gauges from Van's - We'll see how they work too
Alternator warning light, HOBBS, Slip Ball and ELT Control Panel
LH combined mags and start - master switch with "big red light" next to it
Bottom row breaker/switches - Alt, Boost, Electric Prime Push, Beacon, Avionics, Nav and Land - plus 3 breakers per plans
Holes for canopy release and cabin heat controls
Van's vents (??)
Light Machine Gray Rust-O-Leum Professional - Plan dry transfer labels
Compass with GPS and XM antennas on top of tip-up glare shield.
Throttle, Mixture, Carb Heat, Electric Trim and Flaps and Emergency Carb Air on RV6 "Center Console" channel

You can guess my philosophy on "glass panel only".

Light on engine instrumentation - but that's all the C172s that I fly have (?) - and there is still room on the panel.

recapen 11-24-2007 05:05 PM

Would like to post a picture - someone tell me how! When I click the Insert image button, it asks for a web URL without the ability to upload the picture that I have ready.....

L.Adamson 11-24-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by recapen (Post 173873)
Would like to post a picture - someone tell me how! When I click the Insert image button, it asks for a web URL without the ability to upload the picture that I have ready.....

On the upper left of this web page, there is "insert pics" under "today's posts".

L.Adamson

recapen 11-24-2007 05:27 PM

Here's my panel picture:

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/RV7...view/6c89?b=15

recapen 11-24-2007 05:28 PM

I guess that didn't work.....

jsharkey 11-24-2007 05:39 PM

Post your pictures on an Image Sharing Site like Image Shack and then referece the image address in your post.

flion 12-01-2007 10:20 AM

Aerotronics recently delivered my panel; I'm now starting the installation process:

Blue Mountain EFIS One w/Autopilot (and Engine Pod), TruTrak Attitude, UMA steam gauges, PMA6000 audio panel (w/mp3 input and power receptacle right of glovebox), SL30, GTX327 Transponder. Above the glovebox it the battery backup controls for my ignition. Van's vents will be tucked under bottom edge of panel at the sides, and engine controls on the center console. Intercom jacks are run to the center of the seat brace and housed in the electric flap area. Sticks only have PTT and Autopilot quick-disengage.

No backup on the engine instrumentation, but if the EFIS goes down I will be landing quickly anyway. If both the engine and EFIS fail at once, I will have the same instrumentation, less vario, as any other glider and I have glider hours. More seriously, the ignition has a battery backup and so does the panel. The engine failing should not bring down the panel, so a double failure would be an incredible coincidence in which case backup engine instruments would not be useful; my priority would be get the plane on the ground.

GrayHawk 12-11-2007 10:05 AM

Sub Panel Height?

For those working on panels and using a lower 'sub-panel' for switches & controls; what height (2" ?) are you making this sub panel?

It was nice to be able to look at the Affordable Panels web site as an ideas resource; but now that it is not open anymore, would like input from others.

Thanks

L.Adamson 12-11-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayHawk (Post 179094)
For those working on panels and using a lower 'sub-panel' for switches & controls; what height (2" ?) are you making this sub panel?

RV6A -- 2". My knee does not hit it.

Rick6a 12-12-2007 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayHawk (Post 179094)
For those working on panels and using a lower 'sub-panel' for switches & controls; what height (2" ?) are you making this sub panel?....

My Van's oversize panel is 2.2" longer than the regular panel. In addition, because of all the handy factory bends incorporated into it, I ordered a spare brace that spans the width of the fuselage. Its the part the seat backs rest against. Using a small length of it, I fabbed up a subpanel for the control cables and that is attached to the main panel with 3 screws and nutplates. It can be quickly dropped out of the way for easy maintenance. I have no issues with knee clearance.