VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-15 (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   RV-15 Dreamin' When Nature Calls ...and my dream options. (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=197679)

DeltaRomeo 07-27-2021 02:38 PM

RV-15 Dreamin' When Nature Calls ...and my dream options.

I may or may not have landed in a fresh cut field Tuesday morning to visit nature's powder room. File under 'Things you'll be able to do in the RV-15 that my RV-6 won't!'

I'm really looking forward to the RV-15. The heat index here in DFW was 109.4*F yesterday.

Van's said they were looking for input. Mine:

- Manual flaps option
- Windows that open in flight (and stay open)
- Doors that can be removed (or replaced with a mod'd vent version during summer)
- Optional bolt on slats
- RV-14 Fowler-ish flaps

Did I mention I was looking forward to the RV-15? <g>

v/r,dr

Tom Martin 07-27-2021 03:01 PM

No struts! Make the cabin deep enough that a RV type spar can be used in the cabin.
Skylights and large windows also desirable.
RV14 type gear legs with larger wheel options
RV10 type luggage door
RV14/RV10 wing and flap system
RV14 tail

Forget the nose wheel option, it will just embarrass the owner.

HammerDog-LLC 07-27-2021 03:02 PM

I currently have a deposit on an RV-8 I wonder if they'll let me switch? Definitely hoping for manual flaps, 4 cyl Lycoming type, decent cruise w/ STOL which I am sure Vans can pull off.

mrblob 07-27-2021 04:59 PM

I like Doug's suggestions. My wish list would include those plus ShockMonster type gear and wing struts (to strap stuff to). Gotta be able to carry a OneWheel and/or Mountain Bike outside the cabin.

I like the idea of a small 4-place. 2 aft-facing kids seats or the like.

Hey Van's: Take my money! I want to get in line now!

rjtjrt 07-27-2021 05:32 PM

Gentleman (and gentlewoman) aerobatics capable would be very desirable.

bhassel 07-27-2021 05:47 PM

I like Doug's ideas, except make the slats automatically retract and extend like the Pegazair.

Under a certain speed they pop out and over that speed they retract, automagically :) I believe its similar to a spring loaded system. I may be wrong but I think this is like a Chris Heinz design done long ago. Reading below it may even be older than that!

This is a Peg in Chapter 691 built by Will Fox. Picture credits to Will.

I fell in love with this unique version of Will's Peg although the slats are the factory design. To keep it RV related, Will did all the EAA inspections on our RV-12 build and has done many other RV's and other aircraft as well. Notice the hand bent tungsten landing gear! An engineer and a craftsman all in one. Also note a modified RV-8 cowl...

I bought plans to the Peg (and many others - even Glastar kit #500) but in the end realized that I loved working with the metal Van's models. The well thought out process they give you to create a safe, fun, fast beautiful machine can't be beat. I'm proudly more of an assembler than a plans builder. It's ok to beat on your chest about that, we all have those things that we cherish and love doing. In the end it's probably safer that I do assembly rather than design! Computers, rivets and Jazz are my thing.

Bob

NukeOps 07-27-2021 08:27 PM

Folding wing option, maybe ?

rjtjrt 07-28-2021 01:58 AM

"like Doug's ideas except make the slats automatically retract and extend like the Pegazair."

Like the DH-82 Tiger Moth.

Peter Costick 07-28-2021 02:21 AM

Plenty of access panels to inspect and service controls, pumps, filters and so on without having to contort yourself into tiny spaces, remove internal panels or floors or generally suffer pain to complete maintainance tasks.

Actually this would be good for all models.

XOverZero 07-28-2021 07:01 PM

Swiss Army Knife approach doesn't do it for me. Gimme a Kabar.