VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 03-29-2017 08:24 PM

Rob, I like the concept. Looks like a Lancair. This one is more 70'ish.

after 3 days soaking. note the color change. strength test by hand, I didn't notice anything. seemed to be original in shape and was not affected at the surface. go figure. I like it. ABS plastic. returned to the avgas for another four days.

new shape

RV-4 03-30-2017 09:32 PM

FUEL DRAIN FAIRINGS

Hi Steve

Do you have a plan to sell some of these nice looking fairings??

If you do, I'll take a set...

I bought the one from JD Airs but they don't quite fit...The fuel drains on my RV-4 have a cork gasket between the wing and the little white roundel and they are too deep for JD Air fairings to fit against the wing...so yours might be the solution.

Let me know if you do sell some.

Cheers

Bruno
rv4@videotron.ca

Steve Melton 03-31-2017 04:07 AM

my neighbor has an RV-4 that is similar and will require a special fit fairing because of the gasket but it will be fine. we will do a test fit on his and get some pictures. because the fairing was designed using academic Solidworks we cannot sell them commercially. I will make a parts list (3 parts) and instruction how to assemble (one minute) and supply the .stl model. you can have them printed anywhere, even UPS. just send them the file by email and have them print you a couple. this would be a simple fun assembly project for local EAA chapters. also, I'll have a box of them under my wing at Oshkosh for taking, mat'l cost = $3 a pair.

humptybump 03-31-2017 04:33 AM

Steve, have you played with acytone vapor smoothing?

Steve Melton 03-31-2017 04:58 AM

I tried it once on part made from PLA but didn't like the results. my technique was poor. I like the printed look. the print lines for this part are predominantly in the direction of flow so I don't believe you would gain much efficiency but then again every bit helps.

Weasel 03-31-2017 05:09 AM

Nice work there Steve

while you are at it might should do this one.....:p

], on Flickr

Weasel 03-31-2017 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1162096)
I tried it once on part made from PLA but didn't like the results. my technique was poor. I like the printed look. the print lines for this part are predominantly in the direction of flow so I don't believe you would gain much efficiency but then again every bit helps.

Try is on ABS. :)

Steve Melton 03-31-2017 05:13 AM

:), and maybe here for this draggy thing. looking at the photo, maybe use an access panel screw behind to secure? it may not be in-line but if is then maybe slide the plastic fairing over the ball then move it aft to lock on the ball and secure with a panel access screw? and BTW, the tie down ball is also a good jacking point, I always leave it on.

humptybump 03-31-2017 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weasel (Post 1162099)
Try is on ABS.

Yes. Acytone vapor smoothing only works on ABS. Acytone will dissolve ABS.

I don't know what effect it has on PLA.

daddyman 03-31-2017 06:43 AM

Very cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1162091)
my neighbor has an RV-4 that is similar and will require a special fit fairing because of the gasket but it will be fine. we will do a test fit on his and get some pictures. because the fairing was designed using academic Solidworks we cannot sell them commercially. I will make a parts list (3 parts) and instruction how to assemble (one minute) and supply the .stl model. you can have them printed anywhere, even UPS. just send them the file by email and have them print you a couple. this would be a simple fun assembly project for local EAA chapters. also, I'll have a box of them under my wing at Oshkosh for taking, mat'l cost = $3 a pair.

Steve,
I too would like to download and have printed your cool go fast thingie.

How do you mount it?

Davddyman
dues + paid