What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why are they not using the Dynon Radio with Dynon panel?

rileyspoon

Noticed that when I ordered my 12iS avionics that even with the Dynon panels the radio was the Garmin GTR200, not the Dynon radio? Anyone know why you don't get the Dynon radio with the Dynon panels? Seems like they would be more fully integrated. With the Garmin radio is it still possible to set frequencies from the panel?

Integrated just fine. Yep you can pull up frequencies on the Dynon and set the comm frequencies. Works great!

To each their own, I guess, but yes, the GTR is a nice radio, but I think I’d also prefer the Dynon. Having ground, tower, ATIS, and approach frequencies at your fingertips certainly reduces workload, especially in towered environments when having to change from approach, to tower to ground with the touch of three buttons while landing without having to do any knob turning. No idea why it’s not an option at least.

intercom

The Garmin radio includes a built-in intercom, but the Dynon does not, AFAIK, so there would be the extra cost of an audio panel with the Dynon. So that's possibly why.;)

There appears to be space for both, at least in the iS panel., even with the AP knob modules. I’d have still liked to have had the option.

I don't remember the Dynon com radio being able to tune in VOR or ILS frequencies. Some pilots may want that ability and go another route.

I’m with you on this option. When my original SL40 needed to be repaired/just replaced the circuit board I looked into using Dynon Comm or Garmin GTR 200. Since I have a Skyview I believe if the SL40 gives me trouble again I would go to Dynon.

The Garmin radio works well with both Garmin and Dynon EFIS systems as integrated. The GTR includes a built-in intercom and now Bluetooth, where the Dynon COM doesn’t.

And at least as important as the above points, the fewer components we pre-build wiring harnesses for and standardize on (it’s an LSA after all) the less it costs for us to produce the aircraft kit for you. Dynon and Garmin don’t communicate using a common network buss, so it really is quite complex to support both. The overhead (and therefore cost) associated with the wiring harnesses options that already exist is pretty significant. These multiply when we start adding more and more radios etc without wiring basics in common.

Greg

Having flown both, and troubleshooted the Dynon, I vastly prefer the GTR 200B. Perhaps things have changed in the last 18 months but the Dynon com was really flakey two years ago and Dynon had a bunch of band-aides like notch filters and other things to try to get their com to play well. I have never had to make a hobby out of communications since running a MGL V10 (which is the worst). I just want a radio to work without thinking about it. I have never had trouble with a GTR.

Dynon's strength is in the EFIS side of things, not radios. I'm a Dynon guy for all their stuff except the COM radio. It works, but it's not quite top-shelf.

Having flown both, and troubleshooted the Dynon, I vastly prefer the GTR 200B. Perhaps things have changed in the last 18 months but the Dynon com was really flakey two years ago and Dynon had a bunch of band-aides like notch filters and other things to try to get their com to play well. I have never had to make a hobby out of communications since running a MGL V10 (which is the worst). I just want a radio to work without thinking about it. I have never had trouble with a GTR.

The current radio being sold is a different unit. Dynon had both a experimental and certified unit. They have stopped using the experimental version and only sell the certified. I replaced my experimental version with the new version and it solved issues I had with sound clarity. It’s much more clear on reception.
G

I often wondered why the SL40 installed in the early RV-12 didn’t make use of the internal intercom feature. Seems like it would have been easier wiring without the added 403 Flightcom...

Back