What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How I want to spend EVERY Sunday.

wera710

Well Known Member
This was taken right before the holidays. Smooth air and fine seeing! Just a few of the guys we practice with in PA/MD/VA. The Red Star in the image is on a Chinese CJ-6 flown by a buddy who is looking to buy an RV-8. If you have one for sale, contact me. PLEASE. PLEEEEESE! While I love seeing 5.6 gph on the flow meter when flying next to him, formation next to the CJ is like a slow walk in mudd. It cannot be good for the engine! :D

https://picasaweb.google.com/dpcallaghan/FormationFlying20121117?authkey=Gv1sRgCPWslJCkv7K43QE&feat=email#5814034369139994018
Video

IMG_0423.JPG

Close Trail from CJ Cockpit.

IMG_0413.JPG

Diamond

IMG_0408.JPG

Forming up out of route formation.

Last edited:
On that particular flight we had an RV-7 from Essex MD, a Chicom CJ-6 from Ocean City MD, an RV-8 from Heritage Field PA, and an RV-8 from Easton MD. We met up at Cecil County (58M) for briefing. Generally we have 6 to 8 active guys in the region that show up at various times. Most in RVs. Often we meet up at Westminster (DMW) MD. Sometimes at Smoketown (S37) or Easton (ESN). Just depends on who is going to attend and how far they have to fly. We normally have at least enough for a flight of four. Sometimes only two. Think the most we had this year was six in the air due to schedules. Locally I occasionally fly with a T-34.

Normally we spend about an hour practicing, then grab lunch somewhere, then maybe another hour if we have time, or at minimum, fly out as a flight before breaking off for home. If you are within striking distance and have an interest, let me know.

I am always looking for others who can fly various local parades or funerals. But even if you have no interest in those, it would be good to have more RVs in the area joining us.

Too bad I couldn't make it out to fly that morning. Got most of the way and decided to RTB as I had a rough running engine. Ended up finding 4 bad spark plugs. 350 hrs on those Champions now replaced with Tempest!

Holly Run to Tangier Island this Saturday! 8 ship of RV's plus two Red Star orphans.

Admin, you probably should move this entire conversation to the general forum.

For those of you building an RV, here are just some of the interesting things you can do with it. Nice thing about the RV: its flight envelope is so wide that you can play with other AC types across the power spectrum. But mostly, it inspires you to expand your skills into areas often ignored.

TIL_5510_web2.jpg

Rubbing elbows

TIL_5506_web.jpg

RV-8 and RV-4 taking off from local fly-in.

TIL_5522_web.jpg

Smoketown Pa Fly-in.

RV_T6.jpg

RV and T-6 just forming up over Easton MD during RedStar formation clinic.

Last edited:
Too bad I couldn't make it out to fly that morning. Got most of the way and decided to RTB as I had a rough running engine. Ended up finding 4 bad spark plugs.QUOTE]

Yeah Mike, you missed a seriously perfect day. Dead calm at altitude. Cruising with Tommy in that CJ was fun at 115 knots! 5.6 gph at that speed! Haven't seen those numbers since the Luscombe! Sorry to hear about the plugs.

You certainly can fly slower if needed... But if you're going to fly slower, you might as well fly behind a pretty airplane...
66071_519191658093256_824822476_n.jpg

Sweeeeeeeet. Love the Swift. Was a serious contender when I was looking for something to replace the Luscombe. Wish you were local! Would love to get some air to air photos!

I think the only bad thing about flying formation with Swifts is that it's a constant reminder how good looking they are. :)

On the other end of the spectrum.... I have flown formation with an Aeronca Champ, an Aircam, and a red R44 helicopter with a white bearded pilot dressesd in Santa suit!

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE
Fling
Flying since 2007, 700+ hours

LOL! Yep, been there. Started out flying formation in C-150s. Then a Luscombe, flying with Cubs, Zlin-242, C-172, Arrow, Archer, C-140 and even a C-182. Ironically the RV is the first non-dissimilar aircraft I've flown with! SOOOO much nicer in general as it requires far less throttle adjustment. Try being number 4 in a Luscombe 8A, in a turn led by a 172. Full throttle on the outside, no throttle, fartin along at 60 mph if the guy turns into you. Fun!

Never, EVER got to fly next to Santa though!

On the other end of the spectrum.... I have flown formation with an Aeronca Champ, an Aircam, and a red R44 helicopter with a white bearded pilot dressesd in Santa suit!

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE
Fling
Flying since 2007, 700+ hours

I meant I was in my RV-8 flying along side of the Champ, Aircam, and the R-44. Oddly enough the R-44 was the easiest to fly in formation with than the other two. It sounds like you've had some interesting formation flying too! I was once #34 in a 36 ship formation of C-130s. Talk about some dirty air!

Jerry

LOL! That had to be interesting. Champ nose down at full tilt, RV hanging on prop at idle with 10 degrees of flaps?

We used to marvel at the differences in the Cub and the Luscombe. I'd be hanging there at 1800 rpm and my buddy would be nose down, probably at 2300 rpm just to hold position. Same A-65 motor. Don Luscombe may not have been able to keep his business afloat, but that boy sure knew how to design efficiently!

You live on the east coast or in the mid atlantic region Jerry? Be nice to have a few more locals join us.

LOL! That had to be interesting. Champ nose down at full tilt, RV hanging on prop at idle with 10 degrees of flaps?

We used to marvel at the differences in the Cub and the Luscombe. I'd be hanging there at 1800 rpm and my buddy would be nose down, probably at 2300 rpm just to hold position. Same A-65 motor. Don Luscombe may not have been able to keep his business afloat, but that boy sure knew how to design efficiently!

You live on the east coast or in the mid atlantic region Jerry? Be nice to have a few more locals join us.

Yes it was quite interesting...both aircraft near the limits of their performance envelope. I went to full flaps to lower my pitch attitude and to give me more drag so I wouldn't be against the idle stop the whole time. I think we were doing about 60 or 65 knots.

I'm down south near Atlanta based at FFC Falcon field. We have 30 RVs based on the field. Come on down and visit with us sometime!

Jerry

On AvWeb today there was a video of one of the Red Bull aircraft flying formation with a skydiver riding under parachute. Now *that's* AOA. :)

Back