What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is your Andair pump noisy?

wjb

Well Known Member
Does your Andair fuel pump make a racket?

I was happily surprised by how quiet the pump was when I was doing fuel flow tests last weekend with no back pressure ... purred along with a nice low hum.

However, once things are tight and pressure comes up, it makes a nasty racket. Almost like screeching sound ... it's very obvious in my first engine start video; pump is turned on on at 0:14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6wuyqh9ejE

Is this typical, or is my pump unhappy? It's making 30+ psi in this state, so it's not slouching there.

same as mine

Mine sounded about the same from what I could hear on the video. It does make some noise. No idea if it's normal or not, but like yours, it's moving some fuel and making pressure.

Mine works fine, nothing to mention as far as noise is concerned. I mean, I can hear it but it doesn't worry me.

+1

I bought an Andair pump originally and the noise was similar. No ?ON? indicator needed. Sent it back. Bought an EFII pump. Super quiet and super happy.

Slightly off topic, how noisy or quiet is the Air Flow Performance fuel pump from Vans?

Thanks

I could not hear your pump in the video.
My Andair has done well for 6.5 years and when things are normal it doesn't make much noise. I have had a couple of times where it lost prime and it make s very different noise. After a few minutes of no prime it will screech. I try not to run it long like that as it sounds bad. Get it primed and it is quite again.
With head set on and engine running I can not hear it.

The Andair pump I put in my RV-10 was quiet. You could hear it run, but it did not make any alarming noise. I went with the Andair pump because I thought that the AFP pump we put in the Cozy was excessively noisy! The Andair was a little quieter than the AFP pump. I may try the EFII pump on the RV-9A.

Slightly off topic, how noisy or quiet is the Air Flow Performance fuel pump from Vans?

Thanks

My hearing sucks (retired military pilot) but in answer to your question - not noisy!

I hear it when I turn the pump on to prime just before engine start.

I do not hear it in flight if I turn it on, which has contributed to me forgetting to turn it off a few times. On my aircraft that can result in higher fuel flow indications because excess fuel is pumped out the fuel pressure relief line. I do have a small warning light on my panel that illuminates when it?s turned on but I have often failed to see it. Just being old!

Upgraded Model

I had a similar situation with my Andair pump. I asked Andair (UK) about it and they asked me what model pump I had.

I replied and they said they there had been several model upgrades since then. They offered if I sent it back, that they would overhaul it and upgrade it as no cost. Can't fault them as a company looking after customers.

My original pump was Pt No PX375-TC#2. My pump after overhaul and upgrade is now a PX375-TC#7.

I'd suggest you contact Andair direct, give them you model and serial number.

Alan

Alan,

In what year did you buy your original pump? Reason I ask is that I had a similar conversation with Andair and they said my pump was too many revisions behind to be upgraded.

Many thanks -

Dave

Last edited:
I had a similar situation with my Andair pump. I asked Andair (UK) about it and they asked me what model pump I had.

I replied and they said they there had been several model upgrades since then. They offered if I sent it back, that they would overhaul it and upgrade it as no cost. Can't fault them as a company looking after customers.

My original pump was Pt No PX375-TC#2. My pump after overhaul and upgrade is now a PX375-TC#7.

I'd suggest you contact Andair direct, give them you model and serial number.

Alan

Mine's a PX375-TC#3, which seems old. Bought it via ACS 4 years ago... Already contacted Andiar with the info; waiting for their evaluation.

From memory I purchased the pump in 2016. The # number indicates the model version. As you can see I had a #2 and it was updated to a #7 model. Suggest you check the # number on your pump. I'm not sure Andair appreciates me sharing this information, thus producing lots of enquiries. However it pretty obvious that Andair have been developing the pump at the cost of us the owners, to go from version #2 to #7 in such a short time would indicate that their R&D department has been working overtime to fix some identifiable issue.

improvements

... However it pretty obvious that Andair have been developing the pump at the cost of us the owners, to go from version #2 to #7 in such a short time would indicate that their R&D department has been working overtime to fix some identifiable issue.
Or, they have been working overtime to find ways to make an excellent product even better, in order to remain competitive in a global marketplace.

Back