What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are quick-build kits primed?

Vansconvert

Well Known Member
When buying a quick-build kit, is anything primed from the factory? If so, then is it necessary to do any additional priming to the internal structure?

The reason I ask is there is an RV built in early 2000 from a quick build kit and there is no indication in the log book that it was primed, and looking at the interior of the fuselage it does not appear that it was primed - but there is no visible corrosion.

The QB assemblies are already primed. The loose parts are not. The primer is Sherwin Williams P60G2, which is a wash primer. It is a decent (not outstanding) corrosion inhibitor.

You should see a faint green or grey sheen if P60G2 was applied. It is a very, very thin coating, something like 4 mils, I forget exactly but I am sure it is in their docs. It would be hard to see in pictures but as Kyle says, QB's where primed with it. I am not sure if all of them where.

As Kyle also mentions, it is only a fair level of protection. If you read the SW spec sheet they say corrosion protection is "poor". However Scott with Van's did a "very scientific test" and hung a few scraps out in the weather under some stairs at the factory I believe and let them sit for a year or so. The unprotected scraps oxidized. The P60G2 primed showed no signs of oxidation. Scott can chime in to correct me on his testing procedures, but as I recall, the parts faired very well.
All of my internals are primed with P60G2.

P60G2

You should see a faint green or grey sheen if P60G2 was applied. It is a very, very thin coating, something like 4 mils, I forget exactly but I am sure it is in their docs. It would be hard to see in pictures but as Kyle says, QB's where primed with it. I am not sure if all of them where.

As Kyle also mentions, it is only a fair level of protection. If you read the SW spec sheet they say corrosion protection is "poor". However Scott with Van's did a "very scientific test" and hung a few scraps out in the weather under some stairs at the factory I believe and let them sit for a year or so. The unprotected scraps oxidized. The P60G2 primed showed no signs of oxidation. Scott can chime in to correct me on his testing procedures, but as I recall, the parts faired very well.
All of my internals are primed with P60G2.

I believe the P60G2 used by Vans for QB construction is white or no pigment.
The stuff we get in the US is green.
I used it too.
I believe the sample is still hanging outside with no signs of corrosion or oxidation but it would be cool to see a photo and how long it's been exposed.

I believe the P60G2 used by Vans for QB construction is white or no pigment.
The stuff we get in the US is green.
I used it too.
I believe the sample is still hanging outside with no signs of corrosion or oxidation but it would be cool to see a photo and how long it's been exposed.
I think it is clear, but it presents itself as a dull grey sheen. As you know from your experience, it will be very obvious vs bare Alclad.

When buying a quick-build kit, is anything primed from the factory?....

The QB assemblies are already primed. The loose parts are not. The primer is Sherwin Williams P60G2, which is a wash primer...

Has this always been the case? In other words, have quick build assemblies always had factory primer applied? Or did this start sometime after the availability of quick build components?

Has this always been the case? In other words, have quick build assemblies always had factory primer applied? Or did this start sometime after the availability of quick build components?

It has always been the case!

Are QBs Primed? Yes. Always have been.

Within the last year or so, we've not been using the Sherwin William P60G2 primer on the QB assemblies just because availability of that primer in-country at the QB assembly center locations is either limited or non-existent. The primers used at the two assembly partner companies are not the same, but both are quite effective.

Are QBs Primed? Yes. Always have been.

Within the last year or so, we've not been using the Sherwin William P60G2 primer on the QB assemblies just because availability of that primer in-country at the QB assembly center locations is either limited or non-existent. The primers used at the two assembly partner companies are not the same, but both are quite effective.

Greg,
Can you share what primers are being used? I picked P60G2 because “If it is good enough for Vans”… I suspect I am not the only one who did so.

So, if builders knew what other options Vans has tested and accepted it would give us options.

Thanks!!
Tim

Greg,
Can you share what primers are being used? I picked P60G2 because “If it is good enough for Vans”… I suspect I am not the only one who did so.

So, if builders knew what other options Vans has tested and accepted it would give us options.

Thanks!!
Tim

We still recommend the Sherwood Williams product. Sorry I don’t have the other info available right now.

Well, Cessnadog, you almost got the mothership to pick a side in the Primer Wars.

"Missed it by that much..." :p

I was awaiting page 2 with bated breath for the factory response, but Greg's de-escalating reply has made me put the popcorn away for some other day.

We still recommend the Sherwood Williams product. Sorry I don’t have the other info available right now.

A little confused by the second part of the reply (especially as someone waiting on some quickbuild kits...) - did you guys vet the primers that are to be used in some way?

Can you elaborate on what you meant earlier by "both are quite effective."? Would it be possible - if for no other reason than for the sake of transparency - to gather the information and share it with the people like myself who have orders in the queue?

Back