What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SD-19-12-03

Has anyone complied with this SD? I'm having trouble determining if my plane is affected, as I bought it and the owner doesn't have the serial numbers.

Well that's a tough one.

The Rotax ASB refers to the SN of the fuel pump assembly which is located on the bottom half of the metal box that the assembly came in.

The 12iS installation does not use that hardware.

There may be a chance that the builder still has that box.

If you post a question to Rotax Admin on the 912iS forum with your engine SN, there is a chance they can look up the fuel pump assembly SN that was delivered with your engine.

Otherwise, you will have to start with the SNs of the pumps on your plane.

You may be able to see them through the inspection port on the bottom of the plane with the help of an inspection mirror or borescope.

If not you will have to take off the larger panel in the baggage area.

If the SNs are not visible, the date of manufacture should be.

If the SNs begin with 18 or 19, the pumps were built in 2018 or 2019 and may be affected by this ASB.

Attachments

• fuel pump assembly.jpg
    fuel pump assembly.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 129
I think the SB also references serial #'s of individual fuel pumps, which are etch on each pump.
All that is required is checking those #'s against those listed in the SB.

I just mean that I have looked at the ASB for a list of fuel pump SNs but cannot find it.

Ok, I did a bit of research to refresh my memory since it has been a while since this SB was issued.

At the time the SB was issued, it seemed that all pump assemblies (the complete box) had pumps inside with the same serial # as was on the outside of the box.

It seems that when Rotax built the boxes, they etched serials #'s on the 3rd part pumps and the outside of the box, that were all the same.

So if the serial #'s on your pumps, do not match the effected range of the assembly serial #'s, then you are good to go.

Additional info -
Any 912iS engine that was being shipped out from Van's after the SB had been published was cross checked and confirmed to be in compliance before being shipped to a customer.

Any engine that was delivered to a customer after the SB had been published, should have an entry in the engine log book that was shipped with the engine, stating that the SB was complied with.

If you are unsure whether your fuel pumps are effected, the first you do should be to check for an entry in the engine log book.

Back