What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roanoke and Getttysburg

bsacks05

Well Known Member
My son and I flew to Roanoke, Va. last Friday to do some hiking. We were on the Appalachian Trail at 9am Saturday for the 3.9 mile hike to McAfee Knob. It took us two hours to get to the top and about 1.75 hours to hike back down - 7.8 miles total of forested trail. A great experience for both of us!

THE COTTON FIELDS OF HOME - PXE

14xp26w.jpg

APPROACHING ROANOKE, VA

14wuh3q.jpg

nv28j.jpg

2woiyhg.jpg

3329mqu.jpg

HIKING TO MCAFEE KNOB - ELEVATION 3179FT

346ajx5.jpg

hrcuiw.jpg

1zpr1v5.jpg

aos1hj.jpg

After lunch, we loaded up the plane at KROA and blasted up to Harrisburg, Pa. with a 15 mph tailwind! WOW. Upon landing and securing a rental car we drove to mom's house where I grew up near Hershey, Pa. The plan was to stay through Sunday and leave Monday. CONTINUED

Last edited:
Roanoke continued...

After visiting with old friends and family it became obvious that Monday was going to be a no-go due to weather so we made alternate plans to drive to Gettysburg and do an auto tour of the battlefield. Makes me want to see the movie "Gettysburg" again for the tenth time.

CONFEDERATE CANNON

34paxd0.jpg

LITTLE ROUND TOP

98c8bl.jpg

UNION GENERAL WARREN SECURES THE HIGH GROUND AT LITTLE ROUND TOP

15dxw2e.jpg

Back at mom's house in the evening, we were teaching her how to scan old photos when this little gem was discovered. It is my first flight in an airplane! I never knew this picture existed and it was taken at the old Hershey Airport. You can see the chocolate factory in the background. I am the cute one on the left. I can still remember parts of that flight.

Late Tuesday morning we packed up and were airborne out of Harrisburg (MDT) by noon. After a stop at Laurens, SC for fuel we were back home by 6pm. Another wonderful RV trip!

MY BROTHER AND I AT HERSHEY AIRPORT 1971

jkexko.jpg

Last edited:
AWESOME!!!

Bruce,

Enjoyed the writup!! Sounds like you had a great trip. What a way for a father son to spend time together....in the RV!!! So now we see that RV's are a family bonding vehicle:D

Loved the photo from the 70's!! Maybe your son will be building Vans homebuilt Galactic Space ship when he grows up:D Who knows?

YOL BOLSON!!!

Small world Bruce. My first airplane ride was in the right rear seat of a C-172 at Hershey Airport, around 1960.

BTW, Mom still lives in the area. I use CXY on the west side of the river.

Remember when MDT was Olmsted AFB?

Remember when MDT was Olmsted AFB?

Dan, I graduated from Penn State Middletown Campus which uses the old AFB buildings near the airport.
I really enjoy visiting the area especially at this time of year, but after a couple days I am ready to get back down south. The Harrisburg area is kinda depressing for me. We love the mom and pop Italian pizza shops, though plus seeing friends and family. :)

How far is the trail from the airport ? I might try this trip with my son next weekend.

You will need to rent a car and drive to Catawba Valley Rd which is Rt. 311, I think. Just off of I-81 near Roanoke. Total drive from the airport is about 10 miles. You will drive up hill for a while and at the crest is a parking area for hikers. After parking you need to walk across the road to the trail entrance.
Search Googlemaps for McAfee Knob. It shows the roads and trail along with elevations when you select TERAIN view.
Have fun!

Awesome picture of the Hershey airport - born and raised in Palmyra. I remember driving down Hersheypark Drive with my parents and looking up the hill at the planes. Left in 91 for college, and have only been back a few times, but have fond memories of the area. I had totally forgotten that strip was even there!

Dan,

I came across that site after reading a recent Lauren Paine column in SA about his first flight. I have a bunch of fond memories from that patch of real estate starting with the plane ride, many days at Hershey Park - that's where I got my first job at 16, sitting on the hill behind the airport every July 4 to watch fireworks, attending Sunday brunches at Hotel Hershey (on top of the hill). I bet they still require reservations and formal jackets for men! We used to go there to celebrate family events. High school football games and the Antique Auto Show, hockey games and concerts are still held there adjacent to the old airport grounds.

Too bad about the airport. It became a flea market for a while. Not sure what it is now.

Yep, chapstick. It's velcroed to the plane. The zip tie holds the velcro. Perry to Roanoke was about a 2.5 hour flight. We had a nice TW so it may have been a little shorter.

Yep, chapstick. It's velcroed to the plane. The zip tie holds the velcro. Perry to Roanoke was about a 2.5 hour flight. We had a nice TW so it may have been a little shorter.

Good idea! I was thinking of doing some kind of pocket, but I might do a few of those on the side wall somewhere instead...

Back