VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Preventing Rod End Thread Corrosion? (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=182562)

avrojockey 05-17-2020 10:53 AM

Preventing Rod End Thread Corrosion?

Heres what I pulled out of my rudder yesterday while doing another repair...

Seems to be galvanic corrosion from the reinforcement plate, rudder horn and rudder spar. I pulled the other heim bearings and they had the same thread corrosion but not as bad as the lower bearing.

Im replacing the bearings but would like some thoughts on preventing future occurrences. I'm leaning towards and annual spritz of CorrosionX to weep down the threads.

PilotjohnS 05-17-2020 11:22 AM

Antiseize

I would think a good anti seize would better. One and done?

Also, why is the plate touching this? Is the clearance hole not big enough, or is it off center?

If it is just junk building up in the hole, I again go back to my antiseize to fill up that spot. JMHO YMMV

gfb 05-17-2020 11:42 AM

If you are grounded waiting on this part you are welcome to come grab some from my not-yet-flying RV10. Just let me know which part # and I'll confirm I have them handy.

jibby212 05-17-2020 11:45 AM

Check out Tef Gel, works great especially in salt enviorments.

avrojockey 05-17-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfb (Post 1431065)
If you are grounded waiting on this part you are welcome to come grab some from my not-yet-flying RV10. Just let me know which part # and I'll confirm I have them handy.

Mighty fine of you, but ACS-Midwest is back open now after their "COVID cleanse" and I can get them by Tues. I have enough to occupy my time til then.

avrojockey 05-17-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotjohnS (Post 1431061)
Also, why is the plate touching this? Is the clearance hole not big enough, or is it off center?

If it is just junk building up in the hole, I again go back to my antiseize to fill up that spot. JMHO YMMV

I checked the clearance and it was good. I also checked the construction manual and hole is suppose to be drilled to 3/8"...it looks like it was (I'm not the builder).

I think anti-seize sounds like the ticket, and tef gel looks promising...I'll just stay away from jam nut portion of thread for proper torque.

Ironflight 05-17-2020 01:13 PM

Are you sure that's corrosion Tim? It looks a lot like what I generally see on lower rudder rod end bearings as an accumulation of belly oil and dirt. On almost every RV tail dragger, you're going to get dirt accumulating on whatever oil/lubrication is there.

Just asking because I have never seen corrosion on those things - even when I lived in a salt air environment - but I have seen lots of grime....

Paul

TShort 05-17-2020 01:18 PM

I'd like to see what it looks like cleaned up - it is hard to see if the threads are corroded / damaged, or just caked with gunk like others have mentioned.

avrojockey 05-17-2020 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironflight (Post 1431094)
Are you sure that's corrosion Tim? It looks a lot like what I generally see on lower rudder rod end bearings as an accumulation of belly oil and dirt. On almost every RV tail dragger, you're going to get dirt accumulating on whatever oil/lubrication is there.

Just asking because I have never seen corrosion on those things - even when I lived in a salt air environment - but I have seen lots of grime....

Paul

I thought that was the case at first but the picture is AFTER I took it to a wire brush then to a wire wheel on the bench grinder. Its definitely corrosion. Anyway at only $16 a piece its worth replacing all of them on a flight control.

Interesting though is the lower rudder fairing didn't have a drain hole in it per plans and water had collected in it. I wonder if the lower bearing being in close proximity to it had anything to do with the corrosion being worse.

BTW...fully enjoyed your webinar a couple weeks ago!

BlndRvtr 05-17-2020 02:23 PM

I've had good success with this product called Eck.
https://www.vannay.com/

No relationship other than happy customer.

George