VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   Trip Write-ups (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   American Transience (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=152245)

snoop9erdog 08-22-2017 01:31 PM

Great Stuff

I'm in too Scott. Your comments make me chuckle and I love the photos and the journey you are on. God speed.

dwranda 08-22-2017 03:23 PM

Keep it coming!!

I'm not religious at all, but am liking the exploration aspects of this trip. I can't wait to get my plane done and start exploring like this. Great pics of America so far!!

bret 08-22-2017 09:37 PM

Nice trip log, thanks for bringing it to us, I lived in Mc Call for a few years in the 70s as a kid, I can still see main street has not changed much, but the rest of the town has exploded, reminds me of Tahoe a little, Nebraska looked like a ghost town, spooky looking.

bk1bennett 08-23-2017 04:22 PM

What a great day for you!

keen9a 08-24-2017 01:14 PM

Unfortunately the Perryville flying only got to #2 on my priority list that weekend as a bunch of my college friends descended on Chicago instead. Sorry to have missed you Scott!

I did make it to PCD for the eclipse fly-in. For such a small community, they did a great job taking care of the reported 139 airplanes that flew in. According to a local police officer welcoming incoming pilots we were #105. They also have the best fuel price around! I was fortunate that they got their fuel sales up and running shortly after my first flight, and I had included PCD in my Phase I test area.

DaleB 08-24-2017 01:43 PM

I've often been surprised and occasionally amused at the randomness of dropping in at small town airports. Sometimes you are totally alone, not a soul in sight. Other times you just stumble into events like pancake fly-ins, local celebrations and a lot of other random stuff -- usually cool. You really just roll the dice and see what happens.

bret 08-26-2017 05:58 PM

Glad to see you are enjoying the country side, looks like a lot of these airports are becoming ghosts towns, is the privet pilot becoming extinct? not much going on aviation wise? enjoying your posts.

PilotjohnS 08-27-2017 09:14 AM

Is it just me?

Is it just me? But are we starting to see a resurgence in general aviation due to all the airlines' missteps? Seems like a record crowd at Osh this year may be some forshadowing? Or maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks for highlighting the beauty of midle America.

az_gila 08-27-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotjohnS (Post 1199419)
Is it just me? But are we starting to see a resurgence in general aviation due to all the airlines' missteps? Seems like a record crowd at Osh this year may be some forshadowing? Or maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks for highlighting the beauty of midle America.

It seems to me that the airports/runways are doing OK (perhaps due to FAA money?) but the FBOs are slowly disappearing and only self-serve fuel is remaining...

David Paule 08-27-2017 10:54 AM

The towns themselves seem to be looking a bit, shall we say, less than prosperous. Perhaps this is all a sign of the population shift to the larger urban areas.

Which isn't so good for GA, if that's the case, due to the crowded airspace environment and the lack of local facilities.

Dave