What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Wheels - Valve stem crooked

BSwayze

Well Known Member
I've been putting my tubes, tires, and wheels together. The documentation for this task is really weak. I'm still trying to figure out how the brake calipers are held on. But meanwhile, the valve stem sticking out of the wheel is crooked. Is this a common problem? How do I fix it?

Here's what the tube looks like. The instructions tell you to remove the washer and nut at the base of the tube, next to the rubber, and discard them. I did it both ways, and mounted the tire on the wheel and inflated it, and it didn't make any difference. It's still crooked, either way.

P1030814%20(Small).JPG

Here's the inflated tire on the wheel. Is this normal? This just seems unacceptable to me. But I'm afraid to start bending things before checking with those more knowledgeable.

P1030813%20(Small).JPG

Do I modify this? If so, how is it best done? Thanks in advance for help and comments.

They use to make the stems different and they stuck straight out like they should, they have changed the design and now they bend over and touch the edge of the rim when you inflate them. I use to have a picture of both but can't find them. this drawing shows the difference.

ValveStem.jpg" height="219" width="124"

Are they new Aero Classic Leakguard tubes? My new ones did the same thing with Cleveland wheels....

I have new air stop tubes and they do the same thing. I think they are all like that now. I put a nut and washer on the inside it try to 're-align' it a little and it helped. No leaks after 200+ hours. They don't fit the rims like they should though.

Gentlemen, thank you for these responses! I've learned some things. Wow. I'm quite surprised, actually. However, I'll leave it as is and build on. I don't like the way it looks, but it sounds like there are no worries.

Gil, yes. These are the Aero Classic Leakguard tubes, came in the kit. Made in Mexico! Interesting that the Aero Classic tires are made here in the U.S.A., though.

Even though Vans says I should remove and discard the nut and washer at the base of the valve stem, Matco says to leave them on. So what do you do? I'm going to leave them on. They make this stuff, after all, and perhaps Vans hasn't updated the manual since switching over from Cleveland. ??? Anyway, thanks again!

Did you use tire talc on the tube? After that, inflate the tube in the tire just a bit to seat it, but leave the valve out of the stem. Then you can maneuver the tube a little to get things aligned. Re-insert the valve in the stem and inflate.

Did you use tire talc on the tube? After that, inflate the tube in the tire just a bit to seat it, but leave the valve out of the stem. Then you can maneuver the tube a little to get things aligned. Re-insert the valve in the stem and inflate.

Oh yes, I used plenty of talc, coating the tube AND the inside of the tire before putting it together. I also have a little valve stem wrench, used to take the needle valve out of the stem. I did just as you said, inflating and deflating it carefully several times to get it positioned as good as possible.

Isn't there supposed to be a grommet in the wheel where the valve stem pokes through?

There's not one in the kit, Steve. And nothing in any of the instructions or documentation (but as I said earlier, Vans documentation for all of this is very weak). I went onto Matco's website, too, and studied their drawings and documentation. That's when I decided to leave the washer and nut on the bottom of the stem next to the rubber. No grommet mentioned there either.

Back