VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   Autopilots (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   The TruTrak ECO Autopilot really flies! (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=132321)

Ironflight 12-07-2015 09:06 AM

The TruTrak ECO Autopilot really flies!
 


I know that lots of folks saw Tru Trak?s prototype demo of the low-cost ECO autopilot at Oshkosh a few months ago, and many looked forward to seeing it in action. I got a chance to fly it this weekend with Andrew in the Tru Trak RV-10, and I have to tell you folks ? this is revolutionary from both a cost and performance perspective. For $1,000, you get a two-axis autopilot that will hold heading, track a Nav source, and hold altitude ? the three things we all do with our autopilots about 95% of the time. For a VFR pilot, it is hard to think of anything else that you absolutely NEED. It has good control authority (I couldn?t tell much difference between it and Sorcerer installed in the airplane as well), and a unique feel ? because it flies with trim tabs, rather than manipulating the controls.

And then there is the Envelope Protection ? another cool feature that could very well make a huge contribution to GA safety.

I did a little write-up about it HERE, and there will be a full review in Kitplanes in an upcoming issue.

Paul

TruTrakAndrew 12-07-2015 08:20 PM

Wonderful time!
 
I had a wonderful weekend with you and "Ms Louise" :-) thanks for your amazing hospitality! Also, thanks for letting me work on your new project. I don't get to do fun things like that much anymore!

koupster 12-09-2015 10:41 AM

Military 8
 
Paul,
Please define Military 8 as used in the article you posted. 30 minutes of web searches yielded no answers. My RV 8's are done at some multiple of the 30 degrees specified for Lazy 8's in the FAA PTS. Despite having a military background, I haven't heard of a Military 8 before.
Thanks for all your contributions to our community.
Cheers, David
RV-6A

Ironflight 12-09-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koupster (Post 1036013)
Paul,
Please define Military 8 as used in the article you posted. 30 minutes of web searches yielded no answers. My RV 8's are done at some multiple of the 30 degrees specified for Lazy 8's in the FAA PTS. Despite having a military background, I haven't heard of a Military 8 before.
Thanks for all your contributions to our community.
Cheers, David
RV-6A

"Military 8" is just a not-so-lazy lazy 8 - somehitng less than a pair of wingovers, bt fairly steep.

Kyle Boatright 12-09-2015 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironflight (Post 1036136)
"Military 8" is just a not-so-lazy lazy 8 - somehitng less than a pair of wingovers, bt fairly steep.

If you're not coming over the top inverted, you're doing it wrong. ;-)

arffguy 12-09-2015 11:07 PM

Servos used?
 
As a long time R/C modeler, I would be really curious to know what servos they picked.

DaleB 12-10-2015 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright (Post 1036139)
If you're not coming over the top inverted, you're doing it wrong. ;-)

That would be the Cuban military 8, right?

David-aviator 12-14-2015 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleB (Post 1036182)
That would be the Cuban military 8, right?

Could be the old geazer 8 I do in the 8...very gentle, rather steep, one g, nose up and over and descending and do it again. :)

woodmanrog 12-14-2015 08:51 AM

I learned how to do the military 8 from an F15 pilot this way. Pull nose up, freeze the stick and use rudder only to make the turn. Release backstick pressure once turn is initiated. Wing over and then use rudder only to level the wings. Pull back stick and do the same operation in the opposite direction. We called this a "canyon turn" as it really reduces the radius of the circles needed to form the not so lazy 8. Really a fun maneuver.

TruTrakAndrew 12-14-2015 10:17 AM

servos
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by arffguy (Post 1036176)
As a long time R/C modeler, I would be really curious to know what servos they picked.

We are using modified Hitec servos. They are IP67 sealed, ball bearing, metal gear servos.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:07 PM.