What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

She Flies: RV Zulu X becomes an airplane

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
On Saturday 7 July RV ZULU X officially became an Airplane.

The kit has been done ready for a week: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=88164

...but we had to organise the test flight....

We have winter here in South Africa and the fields are brown with dead hibernating grass, hence the dull landscape...

FIRST TAKE OFF, keeping low initially to feel positive Aileron and Elevator response before climbing
testfligt_4.jpg

Climbing for the heavens to get maximim safe altitude in case emergency
testfligt_5.jpg

First Landing after 30 minutes circling the airport
testfligt_6.jpg

Taxi Back,
testfligt_7.jpg

Nice Picture, before first shut down
testfligt_8.jpg

Thanx to Jan and Hugo for the support on the testflight day, the famous RV grin, all thumbs up!
testfligt_1.jpg

A nice Photo taken just after I got out and closed the door
testfligt_2.jpg

After the initial flight I took cowls of to inspect, all good, so they went back on ready for next days flight...

Then on Sunday I took her out to burn holes in the sky, to get the new motor to run in.
On the High veld (our airfield ground at +/- 5500 ft ASL) we loose power due to air density and less oxygen. Lycoming recomends 75% power for the first hour or two and then altenating 65-75% setting.

So basically WOT to get 75% power up on the highveld. I cruised around for 3 hours then another 2 hours at high power settings on Sunday.

I can confirm she is a 200+MPH airplane at 75%power.
The Autopilot works (I set it at 7500 ft Alt hold) then just steered the stick left and right high cruise 75% power to stay within my 100KM proving flight radius.

Flight Characteristics: Heavier than RV7, but more stable, The Stall is benign, with only 1 up you need a lot of UP trim coming in for landing.

A picture from the Dynon, I still needed to configure some items in flight AOA and MAG for XW during the photo time. Interesting to note at 75% power(24/2400) IAS = 180MPH (Dynon knows Alt and Temp so can work out) TAS =204MPH, GS (from GPS) =215MPH @ 7500ft ROP 53l/ph. TEMPS all good.
testfligt_3.jpg

Cant wait for this weekend to explore the test flying and capabilities

Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Identical to mine, Rudi

Amazing that your airspeeds are almost identical to mine, within 1 mph!

Beautiful airplane.

BTW, why was the other guy along for the first flight?

Best,

Amazing that your airspeeds are almost identical to mine, within 1 mph!

Beautiful airplane.

BTW, why was the other guy along for the first flight?

Best,

Hi Pierre,

Both of us have a test pilot ratings, but my experience on a RV10 = 2 hours. Jan's Experience = 100's of hours on a RV10, so his opinion and skills if required mattered big time! :D We call it "ESSENTIAL CREW"

Rudi

Last edited:
Unlike the USA.

I like that approach with two experienced guys aboard. Apparently there's no prohibition over there to do that, as it is here.

Thanks,

Well done Rudi !!
Flies like it should - wonderful.

Pierre - the old baboon in there with Rudi was me ;)

RV UBER ALLES

Two 10's meet

ZU-RVI, RV10 number 10 in RSA (336 in the world at the time of the maiden) meeting nose to nose with ZU-LUX, RV10 number .... in RSA and about number 408 (according to the mothership's website) in the world that is flying :)
One of these days we will be up to our necks with these RV's. Not that I mind :D
RVI_LUX.jpg

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratualations Rudi:D

Do you have the door handle on backwards, or are you using one of Plane Around's center locks with the 180* rotating handle setup??

testfligt_2.jpg

Back