What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Location for fuel return bulkhead fitting?

SonexGuy

I will likely have a fuel injected engine, and those need a fuel return to both tanks. I've not seen an RV-7 wing installed, so I don't know if certain locations or configurations would interfere later on. I'm hoping someone in the RV community can help.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...mith&project=2878&category=0&log=305899&row=1

Anyone have photos of their successful installation? Left wing has a flop tube, and that's the one in the photos.

Thanks,

U need to do some research on Fuel Injection systems. NOT ALL require a return fuel line. Look at Precision Airmotive RSA-5 and Airflow Performance. I believe each has systems that DO NOT require a return line. I have the RSA-5 and NO return line. Others may or may not.

Mike----IF you are using the SDS or EFii systems, yes you'll need returns to the tanks. We like them to be near the top of the rib, about 1 inch down, but inline with the supply fitting. LOL---just makes hose duplication easier.
Lots of ways to do it.

Standard mechanical injections do NOT require full returns to the tanks.

Tom

I'm currently looking at a UL engine (520iSA) with FI. That requires the return lines.

So going with the need for the returns, I want to make sure I don't put them somewhere where I'll find out later that there is interference with something when I go to install the wings.

I put my return to tanks fuel line just above the fuel line feeding the engine.
That way, in the cabin both are parallel to each other from the firewall to the fuel selector.
This is on a -8 so they are bottom left on the firewall.
I presume it's not the same for a -7.

Attachments

• IMG_7166.jpg
    IMG_7166.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 43
All of your fuel line plumbing should be able to mirror that of the SDS and EFII systems. There’s no need to reinvent the here. You can’t go wrong with Tom’s advice.

Oh, the wing...

Mike,
I didn't get that it was the wing you were talking about.
Here's how I did mine, I'm not saying it's the best or perfect way to do it, but it works for me.
If I would change one thing, it would be a shorter return line in the tank.
I was concerned about warmer fuel returning too close to the pick-up.
I went for the middle bay, the second would be far enough I believe.
No flop tube in mine, just keep the return line clear of it.
Then, a custom tube between the fuselage and wing.

Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• PICT4625.jpg
    PICT4625.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 41
  • PICT4624.jpg
    PICT4624.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 41
  • PICT4621.jpg
    PICT4621.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 39
  • PICT4623.jpeg
    PICT4623.jpeg
    556.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 44
Mike- the general location Eric used for his return bulkhead fitting is fine. You could locate the bulkhead fitting higher or lower if you prefer. The 3/8 tube extension Eric employed is not required & in your case would be an obstacle to your flop tube operation.

Back