What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 14 - Possible to build by yourself?

WDD

I'm New Here
Doing some long term planning for when I retire in a few years. At that point there would be time, and I could figure out the space (2 car garage).

But is it possible to build solo? I would be the only one doing it. Kids grown and out of the house, and wife would not be involved in the build. Wife is absolutely amazing at almost everything - having interest in and ability to use a simple tool without it being a lethal threat and destroying everything in a 10 meter blast area is not her thing.

Can one person do the riveting and all of the other what not needed?

There were a few times during the build where I needed help:

-Riveting skin on rudder
-Riveting tailcone to fuselage
-Mounting gear legs
-Installing engine to mount
-Installing wings

These are the ones I can currently remember, but overall a one-man job.

Plenty of builders around that would fly over and help when the time comes just fire the grill up and holler when you’re ready!

There were a few times during the build where I needed help:

-Riveting skin on rudder
-Riveting tailcone to fuselage
-Mounting gear legs
-Installing engine to mount
-Installing wings

These are the ones I can currently remember, but overall a one-man job.

I built a QB -10 almost solo. I needed help for none of the above things. I did get my wife to help with a few rivets in the firewall, where my arms just weren’t long enough.

EAA

Connect with your local EAA chapter. Lots of experienced builders out there willing to help.

Thanks. Is it possible if I train by watching and assisting others, get organized, get the quick build kit, and do 6 hours a day 5 days a week to do this in one year?

Thanks. Is it possible if I train by watching and assisting others, get organized, get the quick build kit, and do 6 hours a day 5 days a week to do this in one year?

My $.02: Highly, highly unlikely. Even with QB, there is a lot more than one would think. If you were very experienced your estimate might be reasonable. I think you should be thinking in years plural. The learning you will need to do over the life of the build is time required that new builders often can't comprehend. I would guess I spent nearly as much time learning as I did actually building.

Last edited:
Folks were posting as I was writing, so I had to edit a bit.....

I would imagine quick build versus slow build also has a significant impact on a solo build effort, especially if you're looking at that one year-ish timeframe.

We are just at the empennage (two of us building), so I will have to defer to others beyond that stage. My observations so far are that one person can do quite a bit. Our issue has been keeping us both busy. Often times, one person is doing while the other is watching or reading the next step. We've even worked alone at different times.

Like @bkervaski said, if you had even a buddy, curious neighbor, local EAA or CAP chapter nearby to come work a bit and eat some grub, I think you'd be able to accomplish the build solo. A year, however, I really think is not feasible. The biggest threat a timeline poses is haste and errors. Don't let the pressure of a timeline ruin the learning and enjoyment of experimental air-craftsmanship.

Last edited:

There is a huge variation in builders’ abilities and speed. Going fast and not making mistakes (which slows you down) tends to require a good, experienced builder. If you are new to this I’d guess your one year until finished is optimistic. I know my -10 took three times that number of hours. But I’m also slow. It isn’t a race; you should enjoy the work. If not, don’t do it.

I am a first time builder, have never worked with aluminum or fibreglass. Know Very little about avionics. A little over a year ago I decided to risk ordering the RV-14 empennage kit to see if one - I could do it and two - whether I would enjoy it. I am fairly mechanical otherwise and love researching. I watched most of the EAA videos and studied every RV-14 builders log and other models. Read this site & FB groups several times a day. I set no time expectations. Planed to do it in my spare time. Covid hit and I never looked back. Love the challenge. There is a close RV community close by that has been helpful in some decision making. I have done 99% alone. Have used an RV builder for help with some impossible rivets to get alone. There are a few joining the tailcone to the fuselage and closing the last lower skin panel. I am doing the quick build. Have 1100 hrs into it and have the engine and cowling left to do. I mounted the gear alone and have had the wings on and off several times alone. I work during the day and research in the evenings. To the OP I think if you are efficient you could build a QB in one year of hands on working time working 6 hrs per day 5 days per week. That is 1500 hrs. You would have to do your research and running errands on top of the 6 hrs a day. There are times when you do need two hands but certainly non trained airplane hands will do. I primed all interior surfaces. I made sure all kits and parts were ordered and delivered prior to requiring them. I ordered my panel from Aerotronics which is very inclusive and requires minimal wiring. They were great to work with for a first timer. The above doesn't include final paint.

Just my experience.

Last edited:

As others have mentioned, probably unlikely but it also depends on a number of factors.
Is there going to be any modifications/deviation from plans... any deviation/upgrade will add more time, sometimes much more.
Will you be priming all parts ... that adds more time.
Will there be any delays in kit shipment? You might not have control over that.
Your level of commitment to the quality will also affect the build time. Hint, aiming to do it right the first time will save time.

As a reference, it took me 11 months to build it and another two months for painting. I was putting an average of 50 hours a week, but I had a few upgrades, fully primed and paint ready stage.

Good luck.

As a reference, it took me 11 months to build it and another two months for painting. I was putting an average of 50 hours a week, but I had a few upgrades, fully primed and paint ready stage.

Good luck.

But, Mehrdad---you are an experienced repeat offender.

Warren, you might try to find an EAA chapter in your area, and get some experience helping others with their projects.

Nothing like hands on to give you a true sense for building. And you will build up some good will for the times you need to ask for help on your own project.

Last edited:
But, Mehrdad---you are an experienced repeat offender.

Warren, you might try to find an EAA chapter in your area, and get some experience helping others with their projects.

Nothing like hands on to give you a true sense for building. And you will build up some good will for the times you need to ask for help on your own project.
Mike,
You are absolutely correct. I just did not want to assume on Warren level of experience and abilities. Needless to say, as I am approaching the retirement age, my endurance for long hours in the garage is getting less and less.

One other factor, which was a huge factor for me was, building it at home. There was no travel time to the hanger, distractions by visitors, etc. Lets call it quality time in the garage :)

had some help

RV-14A, 140195.
Built the airframe kits, hung the engine, assembled and near finished:

EMPENNAGE- did all of it by myself, had to come up with a large back riveting table and a few helpful tools and techniques for the fuselage tail cone.

WINGS- All of the prep and assembly of the parts myself; assistance riveting the top skins because had a eager volunteer and there were so many rivets, and parts of the bottom wing skins that were hard to buck by myself.

FUSELAGE (COCKPIT PORTION)- Did a QB for that which required about 120 hours to complete substantially. Attached the rear fuselage tail cone to the cockpit fuselage myself - did lots of prepping to arrange and align the two portions and got hem to fit. Had help to do maybe 120 rivets to join the two.

FINISH KIT- All myself.

FIREWALL FORWARD- Hung the engine and all of the FWF bits and pieces myself.

COWLING and WHEEL PANTS/FAIRINGS- All myself.

COMMON FUSELAGE WIRING HARNESS- Organized, purchased bulk wiring and connectors, crimping tools, and built that myself. Should have bought that outright, it was a long and tedious challenge - it does work!

WIRING- Did all of that except the harness that connected the Garmin G3X panel avionics (Approach Fast Stack did that).

ASSEMBLED WINGS/TAIL FEATHERS TO FUSELAGE- All myself except two assistants to attach the wings.

Ordered the emp kit Oct 2014, expect to be ready for the DAR in a month or three, I hope.

Last edited:
I think the only way realistic way to complete the RV-14 in a year is to order everything at the same time. The lead times for parts are not insignificant. With all the parts at your disposal then it just becomes about the time you put into it.

I would not recommend this approach for most people.

Back