What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step

They are not standard but I am putting them in my 14. I am 6'-1" and my wife is 5'-11" and would not want to get in one regularly without the step especially as we get older.

They are expensive and I started out flying without them. I don’t think there’s a graceful way to climb in/out without a step. And I spent way too much time getting my flap TE right to risk someone damaging it. I also have short wife so there was going to be at least one...I installed both and I’m glad I did. FYI adding them to a flying -14 was not too difficult.

This comes up once a year it seems. Im 6’4” and yes I have and use the step EVERY time. Also I should mention that the factory -14 has a step installed. Better to install it while building and remove it than not.

Five foot eight on a good day, and I did not install the steps. It is a bit of a stretch but something I got used to it.
Consider a small folding stool for even shorter passengers.

Taildragger Steps

I'm 6'4" and did not install steps. After 20 hours, I installed steps. Not too difficult, but tedious getting the rivets set in the bracket. Definitely install them while building.

Last edited:
Back