What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which FI?

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Lycoming requires picking between Avstar and Airflow Performance. Both look like great choices, but which one?

Any opinions? :D

They are both nearly the same design. AFP has a few minor differences that may make it slightly better. So in my mind if cost is similar, I would go with AFP.
If there is a large additional cost, then I would go with the lower price.

Definitely not the same design, just similar operating principle.

Right now you can't even get a service manual for an avestar. Airflow comes with a thick book and very good telephone service.

The AFP will require an adapter plate kit (available from AFP) to buy for control cable installation vs. kit and the intake snorkel requires a minor modification that takes a couple hours of time. That said, with AFP as Dan noted, the fact that you get an actual manual and also if you call them, you can talk to the owner of the company for support.

I'm curious.
My YIO-360-M1B came with a Precision Airmotive RSA-5 clone.
Are they really not available through Lycoming any more?

AFP also has a clever purge valve addition that allows you to purge the hot fuel from top of the engine to make for easy hot starts.

I’ m going with the Thunderbolt 390EXP119 with AFP injection and dual P mags. Should be a pretty nice setup. Lycoming gives you a $500 credit for the deletion of one mag, so the second Pmag only costs $1000. This makes dual Pmags a $1700 premium over std mags. From strictly spreadsheet logic, if I save 1 gal/hr, it will take about 300 hrs to pay back the investment. Easy decision.

Back