VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   My RV Build Project (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   RV-7A JCarne (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=149050)

Arie 06-11-2017 11:24 PM

Now that is looking very nice. Good job!!

jcarne 06-12-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arie (Post 1179759)
Now that is looking very nice. Good job!!

Thank you good sir!

jcarne 06-24-2017 07:08 PM

momentous occasion!
 
Well after 6 months of work I am official done with my tail except for a few odds and ends that will get addressed when I mount to the fuselage. The empennage was filled with great learning experiences and a handful of frustrating ones. I am that much closer to having my dream come true! My wings are here and inventoried, time to start on a new journey!

11800 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

bk1bennett 06-26-2017 09:28 AM

Beautiful looking product! Congratulations.

P.S. I don't know how you craftsmen get that blue film to stay on. My tail kit came with so much duct tape that it was impossible to salvage all of the blue film.

jcarne 06-27-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bk1bennett (Post 1183191)
Beautiful looking product! Congratulations.

P.S. I don't know how you craftsmen get that blue film to stay on. My tail kit came with so much duct tape that it was impossible to salvage all of the blue film.

Thanks for the complement! I have found that if the duct tap is some what cool, like 70 or below, just get it started slowly and then rip it off fast like a band aid. Every once in a while it will tear the blue but then again maybe I just got lucky.

jcarne 07-01-2017 11:25 AM

Even though the tail is done I thought I would post a few more pictures from completing the tail as others may find them useful. I am really happy with how the elevators turned out, I was a bit frustrated with them during building them as not all the rivets are perfect and I was worried about getting twist in them. After mounting them to the tail I shot a laser to first make sure the horizontal stab was level. Then I shot the laser on the trailing edges of the elevators to make sure they were in trail while the counterbalance arms were clamped to HS. At this point I have seen quite a few people have a bit of twist in their setup, Van's has accepted a good amount of twist but I am happy to say mine had less than 1/16" of twist between BOTH elevators! :D

In the pic below you can see the laser in the background on the green stand (as well as my favorite drink of choice if you look hard:D). This was very useful in checking for twist. You can also see the elevator horns line up surprisingly well when viewed from the side.

20170623_162819 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

However, the next picture shows the horns aren't perfect when viewed from the back. I don't know that I have seen a single RV on this forum where the horns were perfectly matched to each other.

20170623_163043 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

One thing I did after drilling the horns to the center hinge was to use the drill bushing to make a mark on the horns. I wanted to make sure that the series of drillings didn't wonder from center. Making this line made it easy to visually see if the bits were wondering.

20170623_173140 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170623_173640 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

RV7ForMe 07-02-2017 07:57 AM

Your work looks great! Thanks for sharing!

jcarne 07-02-2017 09:13 AM

Well I'm a little late posting inventory pictures of the wings. This is what you can expect when you get your wing boxes. Two people can carry these just fine as long as you are both strong. Each box was about 200 lbs.

20170619_164120 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170620_173143 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I highly suggest marking these bags as you inventory if you don't have a fancy tray system to put them in. I am building in a small one car garage so things like that just get in the way. :D

20170621_181738 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

My wife actually helped count all of these bags below. She did however open one that had 210 screws and 210 nut plates and said "let's go have a beer and I'll help with this one when we get back"... she did not...

20170621_181726 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

jcarne 07-02-2017 05:33 PM

Well my main spars are just about done. Let me tell you, countersinking them big ole tank attach points on the spar was no easy task! Well let me rephrase, it's not an easy task if you want to avoid the countersink bit from chattering all to heck! I found What works best is to put a lot of weight into the drill while spinning the countersink at slow speed (one or two rotations per second). I set the countersink about .003 short of the final depth and ran through all of the holes. My table is a little tall and my elbow was feeling the pain so I eventually stood on top of a bucket to get easier leverage. Then I went back through them all and finished the last three thousandths with high speed. The access cover holes are a little easier as they are smaller than the tank so no worries there.

20170629_122224 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170629_122247 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170628_110531 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

CubedRoot 07-02-2017 08:39 PM

What I had to do on my countersink was to hold the bottom of it with my fingers and and braced up against the spar and use high speed and went easy with them.

Seeing you post about your wings, reminds me I need to update my own VAF build thread with my progress. I have been keeping it up to date on my website, but not here. I'm slacking. heh.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:58 AM.