VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   My RV Build Project (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   RV-7A JCarne (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=149050)

asw20c 05-10-2017 07:55 PM

Turns out those leading edges need the attention you gave them. When it comes time to hang them on the horizontal stabilizer if the profile isn't right they will rub on the aft spar. Ask me how I know. Better to get it right at this step because it's easier than when it's already blind riveted together.

jcarne 05-11-2017 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asw20c (Post 1172184)
Turns out those leading edges need the attention you gave them. When it comes time to hang them on the horizontal stabilizer if the profile isn't right they will rub on the aft spar. Ask me how I know. Better to get it right at this step because it's easier than when it's already blind riveted together.

That is good to know. The only one that I am not super thrilled with is the small section, it just came out slightly wonky. Luckily that one is probably the easiest to manipulate after the fact.

bret 05-11-2017 08:39 AM

Looking good, reminds me of my progress with that Mustang sitting there, I tried so hard to keep the hot rod in the garage, then.....wings in the living room, fuse being built, then at the finish kit, 442 went outside :( then had to sell it for the avionics :D

RV7ForMe 05-11-2017 11:59 AM

Jereme, your work looks great!

jcarne 05-11-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bret (Post 1172300)
Looking good, reminds me of my progress with that Mustang sitting there, I tried so hard to keep the hot rod in the garage, then.....wings in the living room, fuse being built, then at the finish kit, 442 went outside :( then had to sell it for the avionics :D

Thanks for the reply Bret, how close are you to flying? It seemed like you were getting close but haven't seen any first flight posts yet. Also, sorry you had to sell the rod, my wife would LITERALLY kill me if I even tried. :D

jcarne 05-11-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV7ForMe (Post 1172361)
Jereme, your work looks great!

Thanks for that! I was wondering what others thought of my work, I have been pretty dang meticulous but was still wondering if I'm keeping up with everybody else.

jcarne 05-21-2017 10:25 AM

that darn trim tab...
 
Well after taking a few days off of building due to being sick I am finally back in the game! I got the left elevator parts primed and started working on "the first" trim tab. Bending the trailing edge was nice as it came out almost perfect! I did however mess up bending the ears and have to reorder a trim tab skin (bend buckled in a bit so I can't just cut it off) but oh well, looks like I will join the multi try trim tab club. :D I will however abandon this joke of a process and go the riblet method now. I suspected this would be the case but I wanted to try the Van's way first if only to learn more.

20170520_143432 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170520_161607 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

jcarne 05-27-2017 09:31 AM

Well while I was waiting for the new trim tab and some new tools to keep moving on the elevator I decided to work on the trim motor. I found the 1-3/8" dimension did not center my motor for some reason and 1-1/4" for the edge of the access cover was the sweet spot. I also decided after reading Mike Bulloc's blog to countersink the aft two rivets on the access cover in order for the shop heads to not interfere with the motor as I have heard this can be a problem.

20170525_182421 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

jcarne 05-29-2017 12:51 AM

Well after lopping off the ears I went ahead and make some ribs for the elevator and the trim tab. Luckily I have access to a sheet metal break so I made these out of 0.025 instead of 0.020 just for a little extra strength. This route added a fair amount of time but overall I am pretty happy with it so far. Here are my results. Feel free to tell me what you think!

elevator rib by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170526_191514 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170526_191533 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

jcarne 06-11-2017 05:21 PM

Ok after screwing up the second trim tab because of one rivet I couldn't set I think I finally got it after the third. I put too many rivets in my riblet and one was under the E-718 trim tab horn and I couldn't set it, not even a MK-319-BS would fit in the hole. As you can see in the pic below I ended up with three rivets on the top side of the riblet and two on bottom. (this photo shows the good trim tab)

20170610_184650 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

On the other side I used MK-319-BS rivets because even my no hole yolk was having a hard time at them. You can also see in this picture that I had to grind the holy heck out of one of my yolks in order to get at the rivets attaching the E-721 hinge to the trim tab. It's ok though, I have really come to dislike this squeezer which made grinding it fun for the first 30 seconds; the remaining 14 minutes and 30 seconds sucked. (and yes I know the squeezer is not square, it was just a photo op :D) I now call this yolk the "duck".

20170610_194037 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Once the hinge was riveted on the trim tab and the elevator I had a hard time getting the hinge pin in as there were a few eyelets out of alignment. There was a little bit of binding when moving the trim tab but not bad at all. If anyone at this step reads this put the hinge pin in before setting the rivets and I think this would help. After aligning some of the eyelets the bind is pretty minimal now and the pin easier to get in but still not perfect. The following pic shows the final trim tab product and what 19.7 hours (trim tab only) can do.

20170610_201929 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

One more final pic shows the trailing edge alignment of the trim tab. Deeeeelicious!!!

20170610_175942 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 AM.