What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vetterman's Bad Lands Fly-In

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Vettermans Bad Lands Fly-In !!!
September 6-9 2012

Who is Going??
Jay and Carol
The Glicks!,,,
Who else?????

Please call and let Larry know, so he has enough Food and drinks
Make your resrevations at one of the Hotels too.
Larry has some fun things planed!
Be there!!!
Please call Larry to regester 605 745 5932
Clint 605 891 1290

Last edited:
We will be there!

Badlands Fly-In Sept 6-9
(From Larry Vetterman) The Badlands flyin is scheduled for Sept 6-9 and the list of activities are as follows. Arrive Thursday. evening meal at Wolley's restaurant.

Friday, tour the Mammoth Site and go to Wind Cave for a cave tour. Friday evening meal at Vetterman's hangar at Hot Springs (HSR) airport. Yes we will have a good supply of chilled beverages.

Saturday. Arrive at the airport and get a pre-flight briefing for the Black Hills aerial tour. This tour will be the same as in years past, ie Hot Springs, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Spearfish Canyon, Devils Tower, Bear Butte, Wall SD, fly the Badlands and return to Hot Springs. The evening meal will be at the Allen Ranch, by popular request.

Sunday-- busses will bring you to the airport for departure to home or other destinations.

We will have a registration fee which will cover the main meals and the bus transportation to and from the motels. You can pay this fee upon arrival. We have also made arrangements with HSR fueling for a discount on Avgas for the weekend.

Please make your own reservations at USA Stay 605-745-4411. Badlands fly in rate of $74.99, Budget Host Motel, 605-745-3130, Badlands fly in rate of $45.00 single and $50.00 double. Both motels have continental breakfast.

We are very dry this year and the screw in style tie downs will not work so please bring the stake in type of tie downs.

If you need any more information please call 605 745 5932 (shop) or 605 891 1290 (Clint's cell). Let's hope the wx cooperates this year so we can enjoy a fun weekend in the Black Hills.

Please call one of the number listed above as will need a head count and to give us your choice of menu items at the saturday nite cookout. The final day to resgister will be Sept. 3rd as the food vendors need some time to prepare
Larry Vetterman

Last edited:
Sky Terrier (N14SE) and Sun Seeker (N3XG) will be there. N3XG will also be bringing the Petit Jean poster girl Karen
nikon201111057148.jpg

Calgary contingent

My son and I are going...and trying to round up as many RVs from Calgary area to join. If interested send PM and we will work the logistics.

We'll be there, but I didn't see any request from Larry to call to let him know we're coming...?

Larry & Diane! :D

Wouldn't miss it.

Good people ( Where I met Jay though :cool: ;). ) Larry Vetterman has more war stories than cracks at a plumbers convention. :eek:

Good scenery, and places to see and fly. Great bus tours to fun places.

Good food, and adult beverages

And you get to meet me. :p

Last edited:
Mary and I have made our reservations at the USA Stay Hotel. I will call Larry but in case he is monitoring this site, we plan to attend.

Call

Please call Larry to let him know how much Beer to have on hand! Oh ! ,,, and food too :)

Please call and tell us your coming!

Hi Everyone, Larry & I are watching this thread, but please call us and tell us if you are coming so we have an idea on how many to prepare for. Larry (605) 745-5932 Clint (605) 891-1290

Welcome to VAF!!

Clint, missed your first post, so a belated Welcome aboard to you.

My wife Laura and I are going to try to get there, still working out the time frame issues with her work.

Good to have you aboard.

A maybe

We might be coming, but none of the posts say where it's held, although its apparently in South Dakota.

We might be coming, but none of the posts say where it's held, although its apparently in South Dakota.
From today's =VAF= front page:

Badlands Fly-In Sept 6-9

(From Larry Vetterman) The Badlands flyin is scheduled for Sept 6-9 and the list of activities are as follows. Arrive Thursday. evening meal at Wolley's restaurant.

Friday, tour the Mammoth Site and go to Wind Cave for a cave tour. Friday evening meal at Vetterman's hangar at Hot Springs (HSR) airport. Yes we will have a good supply of chilled beverages.

Saturday. Arrive at the airport and get a pre-flight briefing for the Black Hills aerial tour. This tour will be the same as in years past, ie Hot Springs, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Spearfish Canyon, Devils Tower, Bear Butte, Wall SD, fly the Badlands and return to Hot Springs. The evening meal will be at the Allen Ranch, by popular request.

Sunday-- busses will bring you to the airport for departure to home or other destinations.

We will have a registration fee which will cover the main meals and the bus transportation to and from the motels. You can pay this fee upon arrival. We have also made arrangements with HSR fueling for a discount on Avgas for the weekend.

Please make your own reservations at USA Stay 605-745-4411. Badlands fly in rate of $74.99, Budget Host Motel, 605-745-3130, Badlands fly in rate of $45.00 single and $50.00 double. Both motels have continental breakfast.

We are very dry this year and the screw in style tie downs will not work so please bring the stake in type of tie downs.

If you need any more information please call 605 745 5932 (shop) or 605 891 1290 (Clint's cell). Let's hope the wx cooperates this year so we can enjoy a fun weekend in the Black Hills.

Please call one of the number listed above as will need a head count and to give us your choice of menu items at the saturday nite cookout. The final day to resgister will be Sept. 3rd as the food vendors need some time to prepare
From the second sentence of the second paragraph:
Friday evening meal at Vetterman's hangar at Hot Springs (HSR) airport.

Badlands, you bet!

Sherri and I will be there. Made our reservations and looking forward to our 4th VBL trip. Look forward to seeing you all.

Richard and Sherri

I'd sure like to make it down - it'd be interesting to fly with other RV's... non-drinker so there'll be more space for others to have extras! :)

Wow, this is just around the corner too...

Exhaust

Hi Everyone, Larry & I are watching this thread, but please call us and tell us if you are coming so we have an idea on how many to prepare for. Larry (605) 745-5932 Clint (605) 891-1290

Clint: First, welcome. Second, get off your computer and get back to my exaust!! Oh, and welcome. Did I say that already? :D

Count me in Too

Arrive Friday as usual. Looking forward to a great time with a bunch of great people. You too Larry!;)

Don Orrick
N410JA

Arrive Friday as usual. Looking forward to a great time with a bunch of great people. You too Larry!;)

Don Orrick
N410JA

Ouch! :mad:

;)

I just called Clint to make reservations and he said they are up from this time last year. If you are sitting on the fence and thinking of going better get your reservations in now. USA Stay sold out last year. Ask me how I know! :mad:

While the Budget Inn is quiet, clean, and comfortable, the breakfast is lacking. The bus picks you up at both hotels, but the crowd is at USA Stay. You can certainly save a few bucks at the Budget Inn though.

Last edited:
I'm in, missed last year due to engine issues. Will pick up my dad in northern MN on the way. Plan to get there Friday, maybe leave Saturday afternoon.

We just made our reservations at USA Stay and it sounds like they are just about full for Friday night already. Hurry and make your reservations!

Last edited:
Carey & I just reserved the last room (a kid's suite) at the "Stays Inn. What can I say, We're young at heart. ;) Work and weather permitting, we'll be there.

Joe

Accomodations

Have reservations at the USA place. My wife doesn't fly so I have an extra queen bed if anyone gets in a bind. No implied connotations, just feel guilty if anyone can't find a room.

Count us in!

Add the two of us to the count.

Stephen and Missy from Seattle flying My Beast, SARL 771.

We plan to arrive Friday late morning... hopefully we can make some of the mammoth and cave tours?

Barbara and I plan to arrive Thursday - weather permitting! It's our first attendance there and we're looking forward to it. Coming from FL will take about 7.5 to 8 hours flying time - aren't these RVs great! We're on the waiting list at USA Stay so will have to make a reserv. at the other place.

Bring your jackets!

We are less than 3 weeks out now and it looks like we are going to have our biggest group eve,r weather permitting!
For those of you coming to tour wind cave, remember to bring a light jacket-the temperature in wind cave is 53 degrees. It also is starting to cool down into the 50's at night so you will definatly want one then too.
We're looking forward to seeing all of you again.

I just talked to Clint - the long range weather forecast is looking good there and it looks like there will be a pretty big crowd attending.

Clint asked me to post a note and ask that if you are planning to come but have not called him please do so as soon as possible.
Clint's cell 605-891-1290, Shop 605-745-5932.

The USA Stay is full up. I just made a reservation at the Budget Host Motel - 605-745-3130. There are about a third of the folks staying at the Budget Host.

This is our first year; should we bring folding chairs? Anything else that should go on the must pack list other than the usual refreshments?

The Fun Has Started

First leg to Dumas, TX (DUX) was an absolute joy. Sunny skies and tailwinds with just some light chop. Great fuel stop; nice lounge, easy fill up, clean bathrooms, weather computer, and pilot's lounge for a quick lunch. Headed up the east side of Colorado and hit some pretty good turbulence for a few hours. No turbulence airmet when we left in the morning, but low and behold, there was one there when we landed. Ugh.

We were pointed to our home in the grass for the weekend, and we proceeded to pound the tie-down stakes about half way into the ground. Talk about some dry, hard, packed dirt. If you have some rain to spare, send it to Hot Springs, SD. Tightly run ship by Larry and Clint's crew got us checked in and on a bus to the hotel. I had to think about the last time I was on a school bus that long. Scott decided it must have been to go get on some inner tubes to float down the Guadalupe River with some friends and a cooler of ....

Enough time worked into the schedule by the coordinator for a nap and shower at the hotel and off to dinner with 80 of your closest friends you've never met before. OK, so maybe you had met 5 of the people before.

A few pics for the day:
https://picasaweb.google.com/100499...&authkey=Gv1sRgCK2X8dmjiaaKQA&feat=directlink

Early morning tomorrow to go see some the local stops of Mammoth Site and Wind Cave.

The check has already been made out to "you won't regret it".

First leg to Dumas, TX (DUX) was an absolute joy. Sunny skies and tailwinds with just some light chop. Great fuel stop; nice lounge, easy fill up, clean bathrooms, weather computer, and pilot's lounge for a quick lunch. Headed up the east side of Colorado and hit some pretty good turbulence for a few hours. No turbulence airmet when we left in the morning, but low and behold, there was one there when we landed. Ugh.

We were pointed to our home in the grass for the weekend, and we proceeded to pound the tie-down stakes about half way into the ground. Talk about some dry, hard, packed dirt. If you have some rain to spare, send it to Hot Springs, SD. Tightly run ship by Larry and Clint's crew got us checked in and on a bus to the hotel. I had to think about the last time I was on a school bus that long. Scott decided it must have been to go get on some inner tubes to float down the Guadalupe River with some friends and a cooler of ....

Enough time worked into the schedule by the coordinator for a nap and shower at the hotel and off to dinner with 80 of your closest friends you've never met before. OK, so maybe you had met 5 of the people before.

A few pics for the day:
https://picasaweb.google.com/100499...&authkey=Gv1sRgCK2X8dmjiaaKQA&feat=directlink

Early morning tomorrow to go see some the local stops of Mammoth Site and Wind Cave.

A few pics for the day:

Scott, did you plagiarize this from Tanya? ;)

Badlands 2012 Day 2

Well, what do you do when the 80 friends you never met show up in Hot Springs, SD? This year, Vetterman and Clint send you tour Wind Cave National Park and Mammoth Site if you are the 'early group' on Bus #1 and tour Mammoth Site and Wind Cave National Park if you the sleep in type of Bus #2.

Two spots certainly worth a visit to spend a day. We were on the 'early bus' since we crossed a time zone and the 7:45 departure was really 8:45. Carol and Jay were on the bus with us (or is it the other way around), and so of course you can expect a hike of some sort. Fortunately, we were able to convince the two into a Texas type saunter across the rolling hills to take in the fantastic view and 60 degree weather.

BBQ at the hangar tonight. Another hour or so worked in for nap and/or relax time, and it'll be off to find another school bus.

Your pictures for the day...
https://picasaweb.google.com/100499760963951648786/Badlands2012Day2?authkey=Gv1sRgCMCQlsblzJXqGQ

Last edited:
Too Many Users on One Device

Scott, did you plagiarize this from Tanya? ;)

I tried to move that post out of temp so it wouldn't be deleted and didn't realize the machine was logged in as Scott. I decided to spend my time on a new post instead of fixing that.

Badlands 2012 Day 3

If anyone needs any advice on how to throw a hangar party, ask Mr. Vetterman. He hired one of the local churches, St. Johns I think, to make homemade burgers (none of the prepackaged, preformed patties), beans, potato salad, cole slaw, lots of cookies (pretty good, but I could give them some tips :D). Add that to the beverages Larry had for us, and it was a feast fit for a bunch of hungry RVers.

Several hours of imbibing your choice of beverage, eating, walking the lines of close to 50 RVs, and watching the sunset just can't be beat.

Saturday morning was set up for the big finale. Buses left hourly for 3 runs to the airport for a preflight and brief. At least 7700 and 1/2 mile from Mt. Rushmore, lots of space for Crazy Horse and Devil's tower since they are such sacred sites, enjoy the canyon and mining operation near Spearfish, over to Bear Butte, and then to Wall for lunch. What a tourist trap, but what fun for a lunch stop. Head out of Wall straight south for a few minutes, and then turn towards Hot Springs to fly over the badlands.

Back to the hotel for a shower and a little down time. Not much though, as dinner was calling our names again. If anyone says they went hungry, they will probably try to sell you a bridge in New York, too.

Another shower to get rid of the sunscreen and dust, and off to the computer for some flight planning and a final VAF post. Thanks to Larry and Clint for putting on a first rate fly-in.

Safe travels to all for Sunday!

Final Day Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/100499...&authkey=Gv1sRgCNC14cqay4G7Ww&feat=directlink

Some of the Usual suspects!

http://i47.tinypic.com/xfakc2.jpg;)

Thanks to all for making our Badlands Flyin 2012 a success!! We appreciate all of you who put effort into making it for some fun in the Black Hills. We would like to hear feedback from you all on what you thought of everything.Be specific and if you have any ideas for making it better please let us know.

Wonderful time

Laura and I had a fantastic time at the Badlands flyin, and are very glad we decided to attend.

The level of organization was superb, and then some. Everything went off like clockwork.

We had a failure of one of our EFIS boxes, but otherwise a totally enjoyable and fun trip.

We decided to make a side trip to Jackson Hole for an overnighter on the way home, good time for sure.

Much thanks to Larry and Clint for all the prep work, and support.

I will get some photos up soon.

We had a great time at the fly-in. Larry, Cathy, Clint, and Crystal really put on a great fly-in. The cave tour was really something. Here are some pictures I took.

This Was a Great Fly-in

Larry, Clint and all that supported you - it was a great fly-in that went off perfectly. I don't know how you did it but Barbara and I had a wonderful time and hope you can get the weather as perfect next year. We sure plan to come again!

Thanks for all your hard work,

Danny & Barbara Smith

Back