What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Portable Electric Mini Rivet Gun (No kidding!)

FresnoR

Well Known Member
I finally broke out an X-mas present I recieved but didn't really want. After using it for 2 seconds I thought, "man, i bet this could be used for solid rivets"

Sure enough it can be! The actual hammer part that impacts is rounded, so it should be flattened for backriveting, but it actually works. I will try to get a video up of me using it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911818000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
00911818000-3

You just might be on to something there, although I guess it would be limited to the flush head rivets. Beats running an air compressor and lugging the air hose around.

Show me the video and some completed rivets up close!

erich

Are they variable speed or just full speed, bash away? I've actually wanted a battery rivet gun for years.

Rick,

Please help me out with this. Is the striker inside the housing? If so, must it be used on the shop head side only? Have you tried it yet? I have a very tight area in the tailcone and think you are onto something that could help me. Thanks!

Jim

Do I see a possible new specialty aircraft building tool in the making here?

Wow...now we have MORE tool options

We have Home Depots aviation department, Lowe's aviation department and now Craftsman's aviation department. Everyone is in the flying business!!:D

Set holder?

Quick, somebody fab up a set holder for this thing and we're in business. Throw your squeezer sets in and pound away!

I also received one of these for Christmas. I thought it might be useful for tapping in the wing spar bolts. It takes up less room than the rivet gun some people end up using.

The part that strikes is much like a backrivteing set. There is a plastic collar that is spring loaded. However on the Craftsman it works as a safety and will not strike unless it is compressed against the material.

Working on that video...

Wow... can't believe it has collectively taken us all this long to recognize the potential. :D A year and a half ago I was Christmas shopping in Home Depot and they had a demo/display set up. Sunk a 16d nail right into a 4X4. I was impressed as heck. Never crossed my mind that it could drive rivets!

Kudos to the geniuses that frequent this site. The rest of us mortals appreciate it!

DJ

Re: He who dies with the most tools is never the less still dead!

You've gotta leave the kids something good to fight over!

That must have a use when doing some of the hard to reach wing rivets, it looks like it will fit through the rib lightning holes, then just back rivet them.
Looks good!

I just purchased one and Im going to take the hammer die out and put it in either the lathe or mill and cut a hole in the center the same diameter as my dies for my pnuematic squeezer. If the hammer die is hardened as I suspect I might make a holder to replace the hammer die.

I made a collar instead of drilling the hammer die. I took a 1" dia. bar stock and cut it 1x1/8 long then drilled a 3/16 hole down the center, thats what my rivet dies are. I then drilled a 7/16 hole 3/8 on the opposite end and finish drilled to 1/2"deep with a carbide burr to get a flat bottom. The rivet die then fits in the 3/16 hole nicely because they have the collet that snaps them in nicely. I then put it in the lathe and put a taper from the rivet set to about half way back on the new collar. I removed the collar that came on the hammer. It is just there to keep you centered on the nailhead. I made a new cover to replace the nail collar.The tool works without this collar. I am going to make a new collar that will also hold my flush rivet set.I forgot to mention I drilled and tapped 3 allen screws to hold the new collar to the hammer die. IT SETS AN4-4 NICELY on the junk scrap I tried. Sorry I can cobble tools but I'm clueless on posting pictures. For a $100 this really works well. Thanks to the OP for bringing this up.

I'm clueless on posting pictures.

It sounds like you are a very talented machinist, you sure you cant figure out posting pictures? I would like to do exactly what you did but having a difficult time imagining it.

Just think of posting pictures as a new talent added to your toolbox.

I made a collar instead of drilling the hammer die. I took a 1" dia. bar stock and cut it 1x1/8 long then drilled a 3/16 hole down the center, thats what my rivet dies are. I then drilled a 7/16 hole 3/8 on the opposite end and finish drilled to 1/2"deep with a carbide burr to get a flat bottom. The rivet die then fits in the 3/16 hole nicely because they have the collet that snaps them in nicely. I then put it in the lathe and put a taper from the rivet set to about half way back on the new collar. I removed the collar that came on the hammer. It is just there to keep you centered on the nailhead. I made a new cover to replace the nail collar.The tool works without this collar. I am going to make a new collar that will also hold my flush rivet set.I forgot to mention I drilled and tapped 3 allen screws to hold the new collar to the hammer die. IT SETS AN4-4 NICELY on the junk scrap I tried. Sorry I can cobble tools but I'm clueless on posting pictures. For a $100 this really works well. Thanks to the OP for bringing this up.

If I follow what you are saying right, it is a single piece that looks like this?

38TYX.png

For clarification, Tom sent me the picture and in conjunction with Alex's Cad drawing, my machinist friend and I turned out this last night.

2011-05-06%2008.18.46.jpg

Here is a view without the set installed in the nose.

2011-05-06%2008.19.10.jpg

He turned a large hardened bolt into the modification. We still need to make the plate that replaces the collar retention ring, but I hope to give this a healthy try soon.

Why make just one?

Hey, Jason! Any chance you and your friend wanna make me one too? If so, price? I bet there could be a small but steady market for these. I tried the Hammerhead out at my local Sears, and I see how these might be popular with some people, especially new builders who don't have a compressor. I have one, but I'd still like the convenience and portability of the battery-fed tool. With the addition of a battery drill, the practice kit becomes a nice activity for CAP cadets or Boy Scouts.

--Stephen

Well...

Stephen,

There in lies the rub. The only reason he made me mine was because I am a good friend of the family. Otherwise his shop fee would have made it prohibitive to produce on a multiple iteration basis. He knows I only needed the one asking for another begins the question answer session.

I will ask him what he would need to make a couple more, but knowing his rates and costs...you may not like the answer.

Stay tuned.

Back