VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   Traditional Aircraft Engines (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   New (February 2020) FAA AD - Superior Air Parts Crank Shaft (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=189895)

emsvitil 02-13-2020 10:17 PM

New (February 2020) FAA AD - Superior Air Parts Crank Shaft

FAA considers Superior Air Parts crankshaft assembly AD

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...m_medium=email

JPGrobler 02-18-2020 02:16 AM

I emailed Superior to enquire about the AD as I was unsure if it will affect our engine - unfortunately it does. 150TTSN engine (sad face).

Would love to know at what engine hours the failures occurred and in what applications those engines were used.

Attached is the response I got from Mr Ross from Superior. Very chuffed with the quick feedback from them, but looks like it’s a case of “let’s wait and see”.

Superior Response:

Mr. Grobler,

I received your inquiry from a member of our customer service team. Our records indicate the engine serial number you provided was equipped with crankshaft serial number SP14-0161. This serial number does fall within the affect range on the proposed AD.

However, Superior only became aware of this proposed AD during the week of Feb 3. We are still gathering information from the FAA and working to a resolution. The metallurgical examination performed by an independent laboratory on each conclude there is not a metallurgical issue with the crankshafts and cites abuse as probable reason for fracture. The FAA has performed no metallurgical testing on these or any Superior crankshafts. Experimental aircraft are not affected from a regulatory point of view. However, Superior is committed to the safety of its customers and will immediately contact each if it is determined that an unsafe condition does in fact exist.

Thank you,

Bill Ross
VP of Product Support

PhatRV 02-18-2020 06:47 AM

I wonder if the FAA or the NTSB has published the finding to the root cause of the fatigue cracking yet other than just issue the AD.

Tandem46 02-18-2020 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhatRV (Post 1408697)
I wonder if the FAA or the NTSB has published the finding to the root cause of the fatigue cracking yet other....

Yes, its in the AD.

...”gaseous nitrocarburization resulted in excessive residual white layer forming on the assemblies. This white layer is brittle and can lead to spalling or fatigue cracking of the crankshaft assembly as a result of the normal mechanical loads during engine operation. ”

Tankerpilot75 02-18-2020 08:19 AM

Interesting!

I also contacted Superior about the proposed AD after first checking the engine log?s parts inventory. Their representative confirmed from their records that my engine?s crank does not fall within the proposed AD. Lucky I guess!

While I don?t know Bill Ross personally, my few conversations with him at AirVenture lend me to believe Superior will try to work with their clients if the problem stems from a manufacturer?s defect. Let?s hope.

Full Throttle 02-18-2020 10:52 AM

Maybe Superior will recall all the affected engines like they did with the XP-400

Ironflight 02-19-2020 09:17 AM

For those with Superior engines (like me - we have one on our Tundra), if you;re wondering about the affected range of cranks, I checked with the company, and it appears that the cranks in the AD were from the 2012 - 2014 timeframe. Ours was from back in 2004, so we’re clear. This might help with the angst...at least for those with older or younger cranks!

Paul

NewbRVator 02-19-2020 01:26 PM

I always wondered where the term ‘You’re a bit CRANKY” was derived. Now I know.
My apologies by those affected. Truly a bummer....

JPGrobler 02-20-2020 11:57 AM

Anyone have an idea of the timeline looks like for an AD like this? What to expect in the near future and how to get into the air again ASAP? This is the first time I?ve been affected by an AD and have no idea what I?m in for...

Also, if it gets confirmed after said timeline (a week, a month, 6 months - I have no idea) that the affected crankshafts need replacing, does Superior send each operator a new crankshaft for their account and the labour is for the owner?s account or what is usually the outcome? Just need to know if I should start budgeting for a crankshaft, only the labour or a new (read Lycoming) engine...(me trying to make a joke to lift my own spirits on the matter).

Some clarity will be most appreciated!

Full Throttle 02-20-2020 12:18 PM

Paul.

Does that AD include any of the IO-360 angle valve 200 HP counter weighted crankshafts?