VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 10-14-2021 05:40 PM

RV14 Bogi-Bar Tailwheel Bracket fit

the bracket fit to the bulkhead was excellent and a 5 minute install time. the brackets are mounted very high to allow complete access to the tow bar even when the baggage area is full. I believe I have allowed just enough room to access the bar. this may be the perfect fit up. you will never scratch the bulkhead with this arrangement. it is very secure.

Pdtofly 10-14-2021 06:22 PM

P-Mag cooling shrouds

Steve,

How about a P-Mag cooling shroud. I need 2 for my 6 cylinder units.

Brian

Steve Melton 10-16-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdtofly (Post 1561957)
Steve,

How about a P-Mag cooling shroud. I need 2 for my 6 cylinder units.

Brian

I think they make those already from metal. metal seems like a good choice for part like that. thx for the suggestion.

Steve Melton 10-16-2021 08:47 AM

Flashlight mount

my little flashlight mount. I decided the simple hinge may work as is and added a removable mount. it's a widget. shines aft, down and forward. flashlight to be easily removeable. in progress...... I may just go with two screws and remove the tang.

the flashlight is small... so I can put it in my teeth if needed on a dark a stormy night, opposite my cigar.

Steve Melton 10-16-2021 09:05 PM

RV14 Bogi-Bar Tailwheel Bracket fit

I was not satisfied with the Bogi-Bar fit to the co-pilot side bracket. it needed more clearance to the bracket flange. I achieved more clearance by reducing the clearance of the pin to tow bar and the flange height. then I did a strength test of the increased clearance version for the bracket with the longest flange. the Bogi-Bar weight = 3.5 lb so each bracket needs to carry half of that weight, 3.5 / 2 = 1.75 lb. with a crash g load of 9g, 1.75 x 9 = 15.75 lb. when I reached a test pull of 74.4 lb and lifting the test table I quit. upon inspection of the bracket after the test, it was in perfect condition. 74.4 / 1.75 = 45g minimum capability and probably more. my conclusion is that the tow bar is very secure. I am threading the needle between ease of fit and performance. I believe I have achieved that.

additional clearance added to the flange for ease of stow.

test setup

Steve Melton 10-20-2021 08:51 PM

Flashlight mount

my little flashlight mount design is coming along. I will reduce the dock fastener size but otherwise it's not too bad. a little flashlight that will stay in the aircraft.

good fit on the 2 in 1 flashlight dock. this light is an area light when the translucent portion is extended and a spot light when collapsed. the light appears to be sufficient when operating in a dark room and it has a high and low mode.

Steve Melton 10-21-2021 10:53 AM

Flashlight Mount

OK. this is ready for testing in night flight. good fit all around. I kept the original #8 screw size for the dock mount. it worked well and is very secure. not too bad for a first print.

the energizer light is a slight oval shape which makes for an excellent secure fit. the light will not rotate in the dock. the dock can be installed in either the left or right orientation.

total weight (with light) = .24 lb (108 grams). UV resistant plastic.

Bill Boyd 10-21-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1562229)
my little flashlight mount. I decided the simple hinge may work as is and added a removable mount. it's a widget. shines aft, down and forward. flashlight to be easily removeable. in progress...... I may just go with two screws and remove the tang.

the flashlight is small... so I can put it in my teeth if needed on a dark a stormy night, opposite my cigar.

Steve, you know you're going to have to print a cigar-holder now, right?

Steve Melton 10-21-2021 11:25 AM

hand me the flashlight so I can find my cigars..... what was the name of that movie where the young woman was at a remove airport in the Southwest and needed a ride to somewhere and the only way was a pilot in a biplane. I think he had a cigar.

ALagonia 10-21-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1563311)
hand me the flashlight so I can find my cigars..... what was the name of that movie where the young woman was at a remove airport in the Southwest and needed a ride to somewhere and the only way was a pilot in a biplane. I think he had a cigar.

Donít remember the name of the movie but wasnít the pilot John Belushi?