What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS NOT in Hangar?

MechaSteve

Does anyone have experience storing their RV-12 on tie-downs, instead of a hangar?

My main concern would be the wing root seals.

I assume the canopy covers from Bruce's will protect that well enough, and we *almost* never get any large hail here in Atlanta.

When I had my RV12 it was tied down outside with a Bruce Cover for a few years. Rain or sun did not seem to affect it too much. Wind is another story with the stick tied back (tail up) a goodly gust can, and will, force the tail to the ground causing damage. Happened to me and another RV-12. Therefore, tie the tail AND nose down. There is a loop on the nose strut you can use.

Sealing Wing Roots

I hope I don't have to leave my 12 tied out for more than a few days at a time once I complete it. Rain and humidity in the Southeast do cause deterioration but products like ACF-50 and Corrosion-X can really help. ACF-50 smells nice and it worked for me on my 1953 Cessna 180 that lived outside in Miami for more than 7 years.

One way of getting a good seal at the wing roots is to tape the gaps. I used to assemble my sailplane and tape the wings every time I flew. Taping the wings is really pretty easy, takes only a couple of minutes but does require getting under the wings. I used 3/4-inch white electrical tape but I don't think it would hold up outside for more than a few weeks. You can just redo it or buy some special glider wing "gap seal tape" that is wider and more sun-resistant.

My airplane has been 4 or 5 years in a tiedown in Florida and the last
2 in Colorado. Is prime inside. Some corrossion in the nose landing gear,
that some day I will change and the steps.
No problem with the wing root seals in the RV12 not iS
Tie the nose as Jim said.
Jose del Peso
RV12 120633 N92RV

Attachments

• IMG_20230517_113123.jpg
    IMG_20230517_113123.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 98
When I get my factory-built RV-12is in mid-2024, I plan to keep it outside in a tie-down. Good information about tying down both the nose and the tail, but how the heck can I do that when tie-down spots at my airport have only three tie downs per plane? Maybe use a heavy weight for tie-down number 4?
I plan to get a full Bruce's cover -- wings, fuselage, tail feathers, etc.
It's fairly temperate where I live -- San Martin, CA., (E16) although it can get HOT, windy, and last year (finally) drenching rains. No salt air, thankfully.
I did have a C-150 that I tied down at that airport for 17 years, so I know a bit about staying after corrosion. Wax, wax, wax; and anti-corrosion treatments like Corrosion-X.
I don't plan to keep my plane for more than a few years before I resell it.
Hangers at my airport start at $700 a month if you can get one. And, the price just goes up from there. I will do zero work on my plane. All work -- including oil changes -- will be done by A&Ps at either the on-field FBO, or one at nearby airport. Tiedowns are plentiful and cheap -- $57 per month. So, it's a no-brainer that I keep it outside. There are some nice planes sitting outside at E16.

In lieu of a nose tie-down point you could build a tail stand that could temporarily attach to the tail tie-down ring and ground lug/cable.

Back