What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this the right cover for removal of c/s governor?

dwranda

Well Known Member
Removed my governor pad since I am using a fixed pitch prop. Is this the correct cover for my situation? Thought I read somewhere about the cover needing areas on the back for oil to be routed. As you can see the cover I got from Vans is just solid with no recesses on the back.
20200419-151536.jpg

20200419-151541.jpg

20200419-151557.jpg

20200419-151559.jpg

Thanks. So it looks like if i took the governor pad and steel line to the front off then I'm good with the cover i have. If i kept those on the plane i would need the cover plate with the recessed back that would cover the back of the governor pad.

Carefully read the reference in the last post. If you remove the piece in your top photo, then you have the right cover, but you must also do additional work inside the crankshaft. If you reinstall the piece in your top photo (the gear that goes inside the crankcase) then you need the cover with the channel in it, but do not have to change anything inside the crankshaft. Your choice.

Conversion to Fixed pitch

Have you read the Lycoming Service Instruction No: 1435 which gives instructions on converting both ways.

Yes I've read the service bulletin but it only says to use the proper cover for the accessory pad on the back. Yes i also am aware about either removing or piercing the plug in the shaft up front. Since i removed the governor pad i will use the cover i have and have an A&P help me with the plugs up front when i move it to an airport. That way hopefully the front plug will be installed correctly since I've never done that before. Taking this stuff off the engine saved almost 2.5 lbs that would have been dead weight. Thanks everyone for the input!!

Back