What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Belfast report: Must be something good there, eh?

catmandu

Well Known Member
As I told the 'Governor' on Saturday, he really needs to be called the 'Benevolent Dictator'! What a great fly-in, Lord knows he has a lot of help from a lot a people, but they all knew who runs the show.

We decided to come up Friday, and I decided someone really needed to get serious about her RV PIC time, since, you know, she provides most of the funds for it. I had her shed her shiny uniform, and 125K pounds of aircraft, and threw her deep into the GA world. We skipped the normal flight following to prove that one can actually fly the Northeast corridor without talking to anyone.

She worked hard at hand flying our nimble beast:

bst1.jpg

Then we went somewhere we actually had to talk a little bit: "Experimental, Statue of Liberty, Eleven Hundred, Northbound" (Her:"I can't believe we can do this!"):

bst2.jpg

Something as simple as working the gas pumps at Biddeford was new, fun, and a teachable moment for m'lady, the lofty airline Captain:

bst3.jpg

Eventually we made it to Belfast. Socializing and alcohol flowed, we soon headed to dinner:

bst4.jpg

The finer points of eating a clam, taught by a Whiskey Man, to a Russian. What could possibly go wrong?:

bst5.jpg

Great friends new and old, perfect weather, the details of the fly in day found on other threads.

We left Saturday shortly after lunch, headed high even though it was windy. Skipped the hand flying and let George take us home. Getting close, we found ourselves VFR on top:

bst6.jpg

I decided it was time to finally get serial number 21346 legally 'wet' as I had done the IFR certification some many months ago. "Potomac, Experimental 28RV, request IFR clearance direct Bay Bridge, descent to two thousand, pilot and aircraft current."

Into the clag we went, for all of 0.1 actual:

bst7.jpg

Great times, we need to do it all over again next year!

mike, thanks for putting down this post. after spending quit a bit of time together with you and your airline captain wife, i had no idea catmandu was you.:confused: so many people to get to know. my brain is loosing its gray matter. fun talking to you on the return trip too. see you in florida some day. :) see you next year! turbo out.:cool:
ps;i like your wife too.

The Belfast trip was a riot! I am in for next year and waiting for the Governor to approve the date. What would you do without the Air Force girl Mike? :D

bst4.jpg

Mike,

Glad the PIC in command came to our fly-in and she brought you too. :D. It was a good time on Friday and enjoyed talking to both of you. We will count you guys in for next year!

Back