VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 04-02-2017 10:14 PM

fairing file

I sent the file to those I had email addresses.

if you need one send me an email to se melton 500 @ g mail .com

my yahoo account doesn't allow .stl files to be sent for some reason.

Snowflake 04-05-2017 06:36 PM

Here's a photo of my first prototype using the "pressure recovery" profile. The fuel drain and JD Air fairing are included for size reference.

This was printed with PLA, 0.4mm nozzle, 0.1mm layer, "Light" infill.

Another View for reference:

Steve Melton 04-05-2017 09:27 PM

nice design.

give the plunger plenty of clearance.

Snowflake 04-06-2017 12:26 AM

This is quite close to the plunger, and I do plan to make it a little larger. But I wanted a tight fit so it would prevent air leaks. I think i've got to make another one anyway, as I think the step inside for the hex on the plunger is not deep enough. Easy to fix and re-print though!

I wonder if it would be possible to install one of those melt-in inserts from the *inside* of the opening, and have a smaller hole out to the front for the set screw and hex key. That way, when you tighten the set screw, it wants to push the insert further into the plastic, rather than push it out. What surface does your set screw bear down on? One of the flats on the drain? Or the aluminum shaft on the flange?

larosta 04-06-2017 01:35 AM

An insert for installing on the baskside of plastic parts

Take a look at these

"Install on the underside of your material. The flange keeps the insert from being pulled through a hole. Installing a screw from the top of the material causes the insert to expand and drives the knurls into the surrounding plastic to keep it secure."

https://www.McMaster.com/#92395a324/=172po2f

YvesCH 04-06-2017 07:13 AM

My parts arrived and most of them work great! Except the holder for the CO-monitor was designed a bit to weak and I have to increase the wall thickness. But for a first try I am more than happy!

Ist only a trial, the locking washer are missing on the bus bar and there are not all cables installed yet. I will wrap the cabled with Silicon wire before I zip-ty them permanently. Also the essential bus diode will be in shrinking tube on the final version. But it looks quite good I think.

Steve Melton 04-06-2017 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 1163633)
This is quite close to the plunger, and I do plan to make it a little larger. But I wanted a tight fit so it would prevent air leaks. I think i've got to make another one anyway, as I think the step inside for the hex on the plunger is not deep enough. Easy to fix and re-print though!

I wonder if it would be possible to install one of those melt-in inserts from the *inside* of the opening, and have a smaller hole out to the front for the set screw and hex key. That way, when you tighten the set screw, it wants to push the insert further into the plastic, rather than push it out. What surface does your set screw bear down on? One of the flats on the drain? Or the aluminum shaft on the flange?

it installs on the alum boss. the set screws needs to located at the upper most.

YvesCH 04-06-2017 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 1163633)

You could also make a hexagonal opening in the inside to put a nut in there. then the nut would be pushed against the part when you tighten it to the Plunger. attached a quick sketch :)

Weasel 04-06-2017 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YvesCH (Post 1163658)
My parts arrived and most of them work great! Except the holder for the CO-monitor was designed a bit to weak and I have to increase the wall thickness. But for a first try I am more than happy!

Nice. That's crispy right there

Steve Melton 04-06-2017 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YvesCH (Post 1163658)

Ist only a trial, the locking washer are missing on the bus bar and there are not all cables installed yet. I will wrap the cabled with Silicon wire before I zip-ty them permanently. Also the essential bus diode will be in shrinking tube on the final version. But it looks quite good I think.

beautiful. you are taking wiring and tube routing perfection to another level.

no wonder, you're from Switzerland. Basel, no less, the home of the tennis Legend.

my mother in-law is from Switzerland. her house is very clean.