VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 07-08-2018 07:16 AM

I'm just kicking this around at the moment. square shape at the panel ends could be an option. these are the stein size lights, 12mm bore. I'll include the 16 mm bore version when they arrive.

for these 12 mm lights, I'm thinking of an optional test switch location could be a nice addition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by az_gila (Post 1271721)
Looks good, but are those square indicators/switches rather than the 24 x 18 mm rectangular ones?

Just me, but I like the square look on the corners, seems to fit in with the rectangular faces. :)

blueflyer 07-08-2018 07:57 AM

I like these light holders. Hopefully, you decide to list them on your website for sale! :D

Steve Melton 07-08-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueflyer (Post 1271937)
I like these light holders. Hopefully, you decide to list them on your website for sale! :D

based on the print time and Amanda's cost structure, these should be about $10 for the housing and about $28 for the assembly with lights. the assembly is light weight.

and another good thing is coming. Amanda is learning to drive and soon I will not have to drive her to the post office!

az_gila 07-08-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1271922)
for these 12 mm lights, I'm thinking of an optional test switch location could be a nice addition.

No need for anything special for a "Press to Test" switch.

The physical size of switches vs indicators are identical. So it really just becomes a labeling feature - mark the part on the right hand end of the row -

PRESS
TO TEST

If you buy the latching version of the switch, items could be switched on and off - one example labeling could be -

FUEL PUMP
ON/OFF

If you buy the Omron parts the switches are rated at 3 Amps/30 V resistive load. The Chines parts just seem to give a 5A/240VAC switch rating with no DC rating.

None of the above choices would affect the design of the mount.

Here is a Chinese latching version of Steins indicators -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ELEW...ceBeautifyAB=0

My present thought for my panel would be to make them all switches and use them as simple indicators. :)

ADDED

For the earlier comments about water intrusion -

The $30 Omron versions from Mouser are IP65 rated, dust proof and -

"Water projected by a nozzle (6.3mm) from any direction shall have no harmful effects."

That is for the larger 16 mm versions - rated for 5A/30VDC on their switches.

Steve Melton 07-08-2018 09:08 PM

planning to add a integral test switch option for these stein type lights. this turned out to be a relatively simple job. folks with a printer should be able to design and make these. I print these with the backside downwards.

Steve Melton 07-08-2018 09:45 PM

a thin line version. same screw spacing. .1 inch face offset vs .2 inch offset above.

Steve Melton 07-10-2018 05:18 AM

backside retainer version

I'll make a backside clip for this to have a clean face. this may be OK for a tip-up with easy access.

BHunt 07-10-2018 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1269531)
I prefer this information to remain classified. Mystery speed for mystery ships.

For testing purposes or indefinitely?

Chkaharyer99 07-10-2018 09:36 AM

Steve,

I?ve been following this thread and appreciate your talent.

I think there might be a market for an oil cooler plenum to accommodate those who remote mount oil coolers. An alternative to the aluminum interface which seem more common. Something that would optimize airflow.

I?ve done some research and have found that composite plenum are available for the bigger oil cooler like the Airflow 2006X and larger. But the market is absent options for composite plenum for the smaller 7 row and 10 row oil coolers.

I?m not sure if the material used is heat resistant enough for this application. If not, maybe the printed version could be used as a mold.

Thanks for sharing your vision. It?s interesting to see what can be done.

Steve Melton 07-10-2018 10:54 AM

thx for the compliment. these are simple models and really having a project makes you learn the software. that's why I try to have projects.

ABS is cannot withstand the temperatures under the cowl. I've been wanting to do some ducts. send me a sketch with some dimensions and I'll make a mold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 (Post 1272460)
Steve,

I?ve been following this thread and appreciate your talent.

I think there might be a market for an oil cooler plenum to accommodate those who remote mount oil coolers. An alternative to the aluminum interface which seem more common. Something that would optimize airflow.

I?ve done some research and have found that composite plenum are available for the bigger oil cooler like the Airflow 2006X and larger. But the market is absent options for composite plenum for the smaller 7 row and 10 row oil coolers.

I?m not sure if the material used is heat resistant enough for this application. If not, maybe the printed version could be used as a mold.

Thanks for sharing your vision. It?s interesting to see what can be done.