VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 06-22-2018 05:15 PM

final RV9 fuel cap cover

Amanda was able to add and successfully print a radius on on the flow path side to make a smooth transition. I usually limit the build angle to 45 degrees off the bed but that left a sharp corner. This should add a couple knots to the separation speed and looks better overall. seal split line is oriented on the inside to take advantage of the wing dihedral angle to aid drainage. substantial testing with sprinkle water and deluge water resulted in no water ingress to the fuel cap.

pilot side

co-pilot side

Vlad 06-23-2018 03:05 PM

Steve,

Reporting from Dutch Harbor with the first 100 hours on the flap fairings. Somebody even asked me what type of flap actuators I had. :)

Tell Amanda I will be contacting her in couple years to be an RTW sponsor hoping her business will increase multifold. Good job on those fairings thank you! Sleek, functional, good looking. There is a speed increase having them. Did I mention they distract the lookers from my rusty bottom skins. :D

Steve Melton 06-23-2018 06:46 PM

good to hear. I'll tell Amanda. we discuss you photo's over the dinner table and imagine your adventures. I have similar flight hours on my flap fairings but you will soon zoom past me.

Steve Melton 06-24-2018 07:06 PM

magnetic compass interference

the fuel cap covers have a magnet installed in the center. I sandwiched them together and stuck them to a screw head on the aft baggage bulkhead. there was no interference to the compass headings. then I moved them forward and verified magnetic compass interference anywhere within two feet of the compass card. basically, anywhere in the cockpit would affect my compass card. anywhere in the baggage area did not affect the compass. my electronic magnetic compass is under the aft intersection fairing and was never affected.

no compass interference

compass interference

BHunt 06-26-2018 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad (Post 1268827)
Steve,
There is a speed increase having them.

How much of an increase?

Steve Melton 06-26-2018 11:01 AM

classified information

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHunt (Post 1269474)
How much of an increase?

I prefer this information to remain classified. Mystery speed for mystery ships.

https://youtu.be/qAnGe40-o9Q

Steve Melton 06-29-2018 02:31 PM

bug blade

fuel vent cover

it's amazing how much time you can spend until you're satisfied with a design. this little part and to be able to print well. squeeze the upper front to release and pull off for Winter flying to prevent chance for icing.

I think they have something in common.

wassup!

az_gila 06-29-2018 03:20 PM

Indicator panel

Changing the subject a bit...

An idea for a new product that we all want/need :)

How about either a flush mount for Stein's panel indicator lights -

Or a self contained LED indicator unit with a larger text area that uses inserts cut from two layers of 1/16 plexi - one clear and the other colored translucent with a legend film sandwiched in between?

The snap on bezel could made made to cover up any rough cut plexi edges.

Credit to Bob Mills for the metal DIY version pictured above.

Steve Melton 06-29-2018 07:32 PM

hey, what's more important than a bug blade? :)

OK, maybe an annunciator panel. I'll work up a couple variations.

thx for the tip

Quote:

Originally Posted by az_gila (Post 1270230)
Changing the subject a bit...

An idea for a new product that we all want/need :)

How about either a flush mount for Stein's panel indicator lights -

Or a self contained LED indicator unit with a larger text area that uses inserts cut from two layers of 1/16 plexi - one clear and the other colored translucent with a legend film sandwiched in between?

The snap on bezel could made made to cover up any rough cut plexi edges.

Credit to Bob Mills for the metal DIY version pictured above.

Steve Melton 07-01-2018 09:16 AM

annunciator panels

planning for these styles:

flush mount strip
flush mount square
face mount strip
face mount square

planning to use the 12mm lights. simple and inexpensive.

Question1: should an option be added to include the dim/test/off switch in the panel or leave it separate?

Question2: are 4, 6 and 8 light options the best configs?

Question3: should it include an integral water shield over the top to protect backside terminals?

Question4: we could pre-wire these to a local dsub or DTM connector for easy removal. would that be a benefit or not?

some examples I found: